BUCKET LIST ITEM #1: OUT OF THIS WORLD

Psyche-Delish Drug Center is one of Portland's most loved psychedelic drug centers, used predominantly by experience-seeking patrons. Other drug centers take residence all around the city, but they are often designated to specific classes of drugs, and some drug centers are even attached to rehab centers. Many accept health insurance, and most of the addictive-substance centers vow to never turn away addicts, including relapsing or withdrawing users, even when those people don't have insurance or any other way to pay. While the proliferation of drug centers has resulted in the mainstream use of psychedelic drugs, it has also been the most effective (meaning: harm-reducing) measure against harmful drug epidemics, including the opioid epidemic. Drug overdoses and other drug-related deaths (including deaths resulting from needle sharing and suicide) have been dramatically reduced. Drug addictions and drug-addiction treatments aren't shunned like they used to be. Many new-age employers openly support employees who have to undergo rehab treatments. What's more: psychiatrists are using psychedelic drugs to treat other drug addictions, as well as to treat patient trauma. The list of pros goes on and on (but I'm clearly biased...my best friend is a psychopharmacologist).

When Nakomi and I enter Psyche-Delish, we go in through the main entrance (different from the patient entrance). The person at the front desk is ready for us; she smiles at Nakomi and hands us both tablets. "Please fill out all of the documents; when you've finished, the tablet will tell you, and you can bring it back to me."

"Oh joy," I mutter under my breath, walking back to the waiting room chairs (which are luxurious and fluffy, making this place feel not at all medical, thank goodness). "Paperwork."

"Just click all the boxes," Nakomi says dismissively. "You don't need to read anything."

Nakomi's wrong, though; I do need to read everything, even though doing so will just add anxiety on top of my already all-consuming anxiety.

Perusing each page's contents really does elevate my anxiety. One of the forms reads:

☐ I understand that the use of Vivectica ™ produces intense psychological effects, including visual hallucinations, auditory hallucinations, and other perceptual hallucinations. Time distortion is included among these (e.g., short periods of time may seem to pass slowly, or long periods of time may seem to pass quickly). Synesthesia, where senses are mixed up (e.g., tasting colors or hearing shapes), may occur. Awareness of the environment may increase acutely or diminish entirely. Awareness of the self/ego may increase acutely or diminish entirely. Bodily and spatial perceptual distortions may also occur (e.g., I may seem to grow or shrink; I may feel disembodied). Hallucinations may also include visits to/from "other" beings, a phenomenon dubbed "entity contact."

☐ I am aware that my emotions may be felt across the spectrum and may be very powerful, including abject terror, overwhelming confusion, and euphoria. Conflicting emotions may occur simultaneously.

☐ I understand that I am receiving an intravenous injection of Vivectica ™, and that the onset of my experience will occur within seconds of the injection. My experience will peak within five minutes, and psychedelic effects will most likely cease within an hour. However, my emotional reactions to these effects will likely last much longer. I am able to stay at the Psyche-Delish Drug Center to regain my sense of stability if I choose to do so. I must stay at the facility for the duration of my experience, and if my guide does not clear me to leave because of residual effects, I am obliged to stay longer even if I desire to leave.

☐ I am aware that research shows psychedelic drugs can trigger symptoms of mental illness, including depression, anxiety, and psychosis, as well as related mental health disorders that involve these symptoms (e.g., bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc.).