17

A Nice Lovely Farmland

Take Me Home, Country Roads-John Denver

Lori POV

I hope Carl's okay. 'Sigh.' He's growing up way too fast for me.

We walked forward through the woods. Nobody was in the mood to really talk. So the silence filled the air with a few snaps of twigs.

"So this is it? This is the whole plan?" Carol asked, with a small hiss to her tone. I turned my head to her, taking a break from walking. She eyed me down and sat on the log that was in front of me. I knew what she was doing and I wasn't impressed. I shook my head at her for acting like this.

Does this ever stop?

"I guess the plan is to whittle us down into smaller and smaller groups." Daryl responded. I looked away from Carol and placed my bag down. I started going through it, getting my water out.

"Yeah, carrying our knives and pointy sticks." Andrea commented. She glanced at me. "I see you have a gun." I sigh more and look at her in frustration.

"Why, you want it?" I pull the gun out and hand it to Andrea. "Here, take it." She stares at me with disbelief and some frustration. I hold the gun in front of her face, showing her that I don't need it. She doesn't take it. "I'm sick of the looks you're giving me." She scoffs at me and snatches the gun. "All of you." I've had enough of the looks, the blames, the argues over weapons. It needs to stop. I look at Carol who has her head down moping. "Honey, I can't imagine what you're going through and I would do anything to stop it, but you have got to stop blaming Rick. It is in your face every time you look at him. And this isn't just for him, it's for Y/n too." She softly tried to glare at me, but it didn't seem to work.

"When Sophia ran they didn't hesitate, did they? Not for a second. And now Y/n is out there by herself, looking for her. None of us are out there by ourselves looking for her. I don't think any of us would have gone after her or made the hard decisions that Ricks had to make or that anybody could have done it any differently." Carol looks down, not wanting to make eye contact. "Anybody?"I grab my water and I look at each person. Each one telling the same story. "Y'all look to Rick and then blame him when he's not perfect. Even Y/n. She is the one trying harder out of all of us. If you think you can do this without him and Y/n, then go right ahead, nobody is stopping you."

I take a sip of my water, drinking away. I notice the gun in my face again. I look up to see Andrea. She leans the gun closer for me to take. I gently take the gun away from her hands. "We should keep moving." She sighs. I stand up and nod, throwing my bag behind my back.

Rick POV

I still can't believe I let Carl tag along with me and Shane. I glance over at Carl who was staying close to me and Shane. I smiled. Carl's growing up. He's slowly becoming a man. We all of a sudden hear I branch break. I put my hand up, signaling to stop. I listen to the sound again, before pointing to the direction to where it came from.

Shane, Carl and I slowly approach the area. Walkers? I stop and creep my head through the trees. I see a deer. My expression chances to happy shock. It felt like a miracle to see something living again. A animal for the least that was in peace. The deer slowly comes out of the trees, revealing itself. I smile and glance back at Carl. He looks shocked too. He takes a few steps, before slowly walking towards it. Shane lifts his gun up and points it at the deer. "Shane." I softly mumble. Shane glances back at me confused, but sees Carl. I notice him smile.

Carl gets closer and looks back at me and Shane. We both smile at him, signaling to keep going. Me and Shane both look in amazement. Carl accidentally steps on a branch and the deer looks back at him and stays still. Carl keeps walking closer, not stopping. Carl...