22

The One That Didn't Come Back

You're the Best-Joe "Bean" Esposito

Shane POV

Everyone had gathered around for Otis's funeral. Including me. We went to go repay the respects to Otis.

We were listening to Hershel speak from the Bible, praying for Otis. I can't show them that I killed Otis. I have to act like it was an accident. I watched as one of Hershel's daughter placed a rock on the pile of rocks for Otis. At least one person from his family and our group had placed a rock down for Otis. Well, not all of us. I still had to go. I bowed my head as Hershel spoke.

I owe it all to you, Otis.

"Blessed be god, father of our lord Jesus Christ.

Praise be to him. For the gift of our brother Otis, for his span of years, for his abundance of character; Otis, who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset.

We thank you, God, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived....in grace."

I noticed Y/n pick up a rock and start to walk to the rock pile. She placed a rock down, looking down upon it. "I didn't know, Otis. But he didn't deserve to die how he did." She turned to me and glared. "He should have lived longer..."

"Sniff, thank you." Patricia added.

Should have Lived longer....Lived longer.....I looked to the ground, replaying the words in my head. Lived longer....

"Shane! Come on! We can make it!" I see the flashback of me and Otis running from the walkers. Otis yelling at me to make it.

I looked up and saw Y/n come into my view. She still had that disgusting glare on her face. She came closer and whispered something into my ear. "This is on you..." she gently shoved my shoulder and walked near Glenn again, looking to the pile of rocks, while crossing her arms.

"Shane, will you speak for Otis?" Did no one notice what just happen? Did no one see Y/n and what she did?!

"I'm not so good at it.....I'm sorry." I simply replied.

"You were the last one with him. You shared his final moments. Please. I need to hear. I need to know his death had a meaning." Patricia pleaded with tears in her eyes. Sigh.

"O-okay......w-we were about done." I kept moving my head up and down, trying to act like this really was an accident. "Almost out of ammo. We were down to pistols by then. I was limping. It was bad. Ankle all swollen up...."We've got to save the boy.".....See, that's what he said."

My flashback comes back and I see myself shooting Otis in the leg. The gunshots and growling echoing in my head. "He gave me his backpack. He shoved me ahead."

I close my eyes, hearing Otis's scream, while running away from the walkers and looking back. "Run," he said. He said, "I'll take the rear I'll cover you."

I open my eyes again. Looking at Otis's wife. Otis came to view. The view of when he was being torn apart by walkers. Screaming for his life. "And when I looked back..."

Patricia gave me sad eyes. I sighed and limped forward. "If not for Otis, I'd have never made it out alive. And that goes for Carl too. It was Otis. He saved us both." I grabbed a rock out of the rolling barrel. "If any death ever had meaning...it was his." Patricia nodded at me, while more tears followed her eyes. I looked at the rock pile, walking slowly toward it.

I placed the rock down on the very top.

This is all thanks to you....

Y/n POV