9

"Come on, come on. It's almost starting!" Y/N rushed up the stairs, tugging Shinsou by the hand up . He was tired. He didn't really have the time or energy to watch this firework show she was so excited to see. Still, he did it for her since she'd been waiting for weeks for it.

No U.A. students were allowed to dress up in their formal wear and go to the shrines like everyone else on New Years, since big crowds could pose a danger to the students' safety. Instead, groups of students from different classes gathered up some snacks on the roofs of their own family houses to watch the fireworks at the shrine a mile or so away. She had a bag full of her favorite drink, fruit milk, on her arm, eager to binge and drink it all. She would probably make herself sick, but it's like that sometimes..

"Five minutes until midnight," she muttered. She pushed open the attic window and slid through onto the roof, and was met with emptiness. Only a few small groups of friends were spaced out pretty far and few in between on their class building. She walked over to the side in the direction of the shrine, and sat down on the bench. Her milk plopped down onto the spot beside her.

Shinsou silently took a seat beside her. He checked his phone. Only a couple more minutes. He couldn't understand for the life of him why she was so excited just for time to pass and some colored lights to go off in the distance. The noise was so loud though, he realized he wouldn't have gotten much sleep that night anyway.

Happily, she popped the cap off a banana milk and took a long sip. He took one from the bag as well, strawberry, and popped the cap. "Why are you so excited for this anyway, Y/N?"

"I-I don't know. I just wanted to spend the holiday with you, and since we aren't allowed back home for the holiday due to all those villain threats, I thought it would be a fun thing for the two of us to do together," she told him. Honestly, she was just happy to spend more time with him. It felt so good, the cold air on her skin and the crickets chirping from the ground below. People around talked and laughed amongst their own groups.

It was the perfect moment.

Shinsou knew about this tradition some people had on New Years. He was sure it was probably an American thing since All Might and Midoriya were talking about it. Apparently, you are supposed to kiss someone when the clock strikes midnight, and it grants you good luck for the rest of the year.

He wouldn't even attempt it. That was a complete invasion of her space. He just wanted her to enjoy the fireworks and her milk without any drama. Things had gotten a bit weird between them over the time they'd known each other. They were close, almost too close to be friendly. Other people clearly noticed; Bakugo, Aizawa, that boy from their class. Neither of them knew what to do about those feelings, so they just pretended they weren't there, he supposed. It was easier that way.

That didn't mean he didn't want to kiss her. He definitely did 100 percent want that kiss. He just couldn't take the risk. What if everyone was wrong this whole time? What if she only thought of him as a very close friend this whole time and he got the wrong idea. He didn't know enough girls to know how they acted with their guy friends.

He knew he was hopelessly in love. It used to scare him, the thought of being so attached to someone like that. Now, he just felt happy to have someone to hold in his heart. It didn't matter much if she ever accepted his love. As long as he could hold her and see her smile, that was enough.

Soon enough, dozens of rainbow colored fireworks lit up the sky. The sound was dulled by the distance between them and the shrine, but it was still loud enough to dull Shinsou's thoughts. He leaned back on the roof on one hand and the other lifted the strawberry milk to his lips, taking a sip.

Another year flew by faster than he thought. It was no doubt the best year of his life so far.

He didn't even notice her begin to speak until she said his name.

"Shinsou," she exhaled. "I really wouldn't mind spending every year with you."

He looked over to her. Her face was illuminated in bright pinks and blues, and she had that ever present smile on her lips. How could one person look like that? All he ever wanted and more, the girl of his dreams?

"I think I'd like that, too."

"Would you really?"

"If I got to spend every single day with you for the rest of my life, it still wouldn't be enough for me."

She took a deep breath, tilting her head back to stare up at the deep blue night sky above, only a couple shining stars to be seen. For a long time, she felt like it was inevitable that he would find out, and now seemed just as good as any.

"You know, Hitoshi, I think I'm in love with you."

His lips curled up into a smile. "I've been in love with you for so long, Y/N," he confessed, "They say love at first sight isn't real, but damn, it sure feels like it is."

"God, why do you always know exactly what to say to make me feel like this," she asked, placing her hand over her head and laughing. "Why are you so perfect?"

"I'm not. I'm perfect, but only for you."

They sat beside each other in silence for a moment, taking in each other's feelings. Her hand wormed over to rest on his, and he quickly intertwined their fingers. He squeezed her hand and she squeezed back. He could feel how warm her skin felt, and the smile on his face only grew. He would always remember this moment.

"Do you mind if I kiss you?"

"Please."

And so, he got that kiss he wanted all along. Along with many, many more to follow.

For the first time ever, he felt like he made the right choice. He'd finally done something worthwhile with his life. 

He met his Y/N.