1. cruel summer

"Hot summer streets and the pavements are burning, I sit around
Trying to smile, but the air is so heavy and dry

Strange voices are saying
Things I can't understand
It's too close for comfort, this heat has got right out of hand

Rush hour. Everyone is going home from work, drivers too busy cursing each other for the mess they're creating through the streets of Gotham city. Children laughing in their school buses as they're finally going home for the day. 

"Hey! Did that bus just came out of the building?" One of the kids ask, eyes widened through the window of the bus.  

"Wow!" Another one says. They all put their hands on the windows, amazed at how the building wall is destroyed. Definitely a thing they'd tell their parents when they get home.

It's a cruel (Cruel), cruel summer

Leaving me here on my own
It's a cruel (It's a cruel), cruel summer

Now you're gone

Police sirens are echoing throughout the busy streets, wondering who the fuck would enter a mob bank through the walls of it.

The city is crowded, my friends are away and I'm on my own

It's too hot to handle so I got to get up and go

It's a cruel (Cruel), cruel summer

Leaving me here on my own
It's a cruel (It's a cruel), cruel summer
Now you're gone

You're not the only one..."

"Fuck!"

"Jennifer stop whining, you have 3 more left." Zoe says. "Come on, one, two, three."

"Fuck. Look, my thighs are shaking." Jennifer points her index finger at her thighs, she's sweating.

"It was a good workout though."

"Yeah. Now, let's go get cocktails." She grabs her towel and Zoe watches her disappear into the dressing room.

"Who does that after working out."

"We do."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Mmm, so good."

"You like it?" Zoe asks, as she looks at the ice slowly melting in Jennifer's cocktail, leaving drops on the glass.

"Yeah, try it." Jennifer pushes the glass a little towards Zoe, who shakes her head.

"No, thanks. Got my orange juice here." She laughs.

"You're so boring". She takes a sip from the pink straw. "Anyway, excited about tonight?"

"Nope." Zoe raises her eyebrows, clearly puzzled.

"Where y'all going?"

"He made a dinner reservation at some restaurant here downtown. I have no idea which one."

"Probably some fancy one if it's somewhere around here."

Zoe nods. "Guess so. But, it doesn't matter. I'm still not flattered." She leans back on her seat, running a hand through her hair.

"Technically you can't say that until you meet him."

"But I know how's it going to go. I just know that he won't, you know...turn me on?" It sounded more like a question.