2. we got ourselves a new enemy

Monday came by quickly. Zoe announced her arrival at work by her heels clicking through the halls of Arkham Asylum. Ignoring the greetings from her co-workers, she walks into the elevator and presses the button that leads to the floor her office was on.

For the past 3 years, Zoe has been under anxiety medication. If it wasn't for that, knowing herself, she'd be freaking out right now. It was a name that was well known by everyone in her life. Mostly by her. 

The doors opened, revealing her well-known, dim lighted hall that lead to her office. 

"Leslie, I need his documents on my desk, fast!" Zoe's voice echoes through the place.

"I-Okay. I'll be right with you!" The old nurse wasn't used to seeing Zoe as stiff as this before. Being used to her mostly with a smile on her face, this was new. She stopped for a second, before realizing what she had to do.

Once Zoe enters her office, she dials the number of the head of security in Arkham.

"Yes, Doctor?"

"I need copies of the surveillance cameras." She says as she takes off her coat, the phone squeezed between her shoulder and her head.

"I see you've heard the news." She hears him say from the other line.

"I should have been informed."

"We didn't want to disturb your vacation, Doc."

"Well you may as well have." She paces around. "Is the police involved?"

"We were going to inform them if he wasn't found by tomorrow." He says, stuttering.

She sighs. "Great. Do not inform the police, got it?"

"But-"

"Just listen to me, please."

"Okay. I'll get the tapes for you."

"Thank you." She throws the phone on the table, running a hand through her hair. 

Not knowing what to do next, she sits down and puts her head in her hands. Being very aware what kind of a mess Gotham was right now, she couldn't let that slip and be revealed to the news. If the police knew, everyone knew. So, hiding that was now a top priority.

Leslie comes in barging through the door, holding the documents in her hands. "Here you go." She says, a little out of breath.

"Thank you so much, Leslie." Zoe takes the documents from her hands and puts them on the table in front of her.

"What happened?" Leslie asks, removing a piece of hair from her sweet face.

"You don't know?" Zoe looks up at her.

"No, I was on a break too." The woman shakes her head.

Zoe sighs, looking through the documents. "Crane got out."

Leslie gasps and sits on one of the chairs. "How?"

"I have no idea." Zoe shakes her head, closing the documents and resting a palm on her forehead. 

"So, what happens now?" The nurse asks, fiddling her fingers in her lap.

"I'll send people to find him."

"What about the police?"

"They can't know about this."

"Why?"

"Just...They can't because everything's already a mess. The criminal records are growing day by day and I can't let the news know that Arkham made a mistake of letting a patient out. The portrayal would be a disaster and the reputation would be ruined. Not that it's any good right now, but you know what I mean."