3. chaos

"Who?"

"The Joker." The Joker. "Remember the robbery from a couple of days ago?"

"That was him?" Zoe narrows her eyes and turns to Jonathan.

"Correct. Him and his people who are now dead because of him." He explains, but Zoe stays silent. "He killed them."

"Oh." She mouths, looking down at her feet.

"I was lucky enough to find out that there was a gang meeting that he crashed. Rumor has it he put a pencil through someone's face and tried to make a deal for killing the Batman." Jonathan explains and bites the side of his cheek at the end, seeming anxious.

Zoe rolls her head back, exposing her neck to Jonathan's eyes. "Oh, fucking hell. " She looks at him. "How the fuck does that concern me? Why am I in a mess every freaking time you're around?"

"He knows about us." Jonathan leans towards Zoe a little. "In fact, he knows about everything in Gotham. Every piece of information about us and the rest of the people is smudged in his little brain." He points his hands to his head as he explains.

"Where did he come from?"

He shakes his head,  eyes widened. "No one knows. No one knows his name, where he's from, what's his plan..."

Zoe sighs and rests her head on the seat. "Oh, he's destroying Gotham."

"Exactly. He's going to do what I couldn't." Zoe couldn't help but notice how Jonathan's unwavering gaze remained fixated on her, as if he were delicately studying her every part of expression. She took a moment to reply, taking in all of the information at once. 

"Does he work for Ra's Al Ghul?" She finally asks.

Jonathan shakes his head and looks out of the tinted window. "He's dead, and no, the lunatic works for no one but himself. I told you, he's linked to no one."

She scoffs and nods. "Oh, you're the one to talk." Her reply sounded like a murmur, hopes inside of her that it went unnoticed, the comment.

Jonathan laughs. "Shut up."

"Fuck that, you're crazy. There's no way I'm going to help you or be in this shit." She says with a fake laugh.

"You have to." Jonathan says, his voice louder this time. "You have the power at Arkham. You're respected. No one is going to suspect you if you help me get information."

"I'm already involved with this and I don't like it, but, If I sense something I really don't want to mess with and the moment I sense more danger, I'm out." What Zoe said sounded intimidating, but knowing her, he didn't react, he just nodded.

"Fair, but It's unflattering how you think that I'm in this. The only two people in this are the Joker and Batman himself. I'm just a side piece that wants his money and to leave this stupid city."

"Well Jonathan, make sure it stays that way." Zoe says and reaches for the door handle, but he stops her.

"Wait." 

"What?" She looks at his hand, then switches her glare on his face.

His gaze softens and he releases his grip from her hand. "It's okay, like I said I'm not going to do anything. I just wanted to ask you how have you been?"

"I've been okay. Life's okay. It's just work and hanging out with friends when we have the time. Everyone's working so.." Her voice so silent yet a loud symphony within his thoughts

"I see. That's good." He nods. "Listen, Zoe, I'm not doing this because of me. If someone finds out that we are together in this, it's you who will lose a job, not me. I couldn't care less. I'm doing this because of you."