6. interrogation

"Doctor Myers, thanks for coming. Sorry if it was out of nowhere." She is greeted by a detective once she enters the police station. 

Zoe smiles and nods. "Of course, it's my job."

"This way please."

They head to the basement where she can overhear unclear conversations. As she turns the corner, she spots Gordon and his coworkers, all eyes on him.

"Welcome doctor."

"Hello," she says, clutching her suitcase tightly. There he is, bound and hunched over, with green and purple dominating the entire room. "It's so strange."

"It is. I can't believe we caught him." Gordon says. "I felt like you're the only one who is suitable for this. You deserve to be the one who treats this guy, and I believe you'll do a hell of a job."

"Learned from the best." Zoe says, sarcastically.

Gordon chuckles, knowing exactly what she meant.

"Ready?" He asks, fingers still on the button to open the door. 

"Yeah."

"There's a panic button. We'll be watching you at all times, okay?"

"Yeah, I know the process." Zoe went ahead and the officers unlocked the room where the Joker was. As soon as she entered, she stood still for a moment. Hearing the door lock behind her, gave her a sense of fear and excitement.

It wasn't talked about enough, but being there with a person like the Joker was unexplainable, euphoric and chaotic. The room had a distinct scent of gasoline, cement, cheap makeup and cigarettes.

As usual, in the first few minutes, the patient ignored the doctor's presence. Although, she was well aware that he tracked her every step as she approached. Even though his back was turned, he seemed to have an uncanny sense of her proximity at any given moment. The clicking of Zoe's heels seemed to echo in his mind, and he nervously licked the inside of his scars while staring downward.

The smell of coconut filled the room as she approached the desk, informing him that she had arrived by throwing a pen and a piece of paper in front of him.

Gordon watched Zoe with intensity, so did everyone else. They exchanged weird looks as the young woman stood firmly for a minute next to the table observing him.

"Don't you think that suit needs some washing?" Zoe breaks the silence.

After a moment of murmuring to himself, Zoe had Joker's eyes on her. From head to toe.

"Uh, doc, come on. No need to be rude-ah." He took his time with his words, as always.

Zoe sat down, crossing her arms. "I'm not rude, I was just asking you a question."

"Do ya think I got time for that?"

"I guess you're right."

Joker rolls his eyes. "So, what is it? They sent you here to fix me?" he asks, seemingly bored out of his mind.

Zoe raises her eyebrows and shakes her head. "No, not really. Just to have a conversation."

"We are having a conversation, aren't we doc? I could talk about anything you want." 

The Joker's eyes darted around constantly, like he couldn't keep them steady. He had a imposing presence with muscular arms and rough hands. It felt strange being this close to him. In her sessions, even the most brutal killers appeared strangely normal, but he still retained a menacing and distinct aura, as though he had stepped in from another world.