Chapter 1 ➭ Bandages?

'A-ah – Y/N, please it – '

'Just wait for a little longer.'

'P-Please! I can't – '

'Just bear the pain. You're doing good.'

'Alright then. Ah! Please, stop!'

You glanced at Albedo's pained face as he snatched his hand from yours.

'Just let me put on the bandages. And stop... sounding like that.'

Albedo looked away and gave a small cough.

'I'll be fine. I'm quite... sensitive to the bandages for now. Please let the wounds heal naturally.'

'That's a terrible excuse.'

'Albedo! I have the data for experiment 5.2 C!'

Sucrose rushed over to both of you with several documents in her hands.

'Oh, Sucrose. Thank you. I will continue the testing quite soon.'

You had been living on Dragonspine for as long as you could remember, along with Sucrose and Albedo. You weren't as dedicated to science as them, but you helped the pair voluntarily. You lived in this huge lab, with rooms to sleep, eat and experiment in.

'Oh, Y/N. Could you get me the test tubes from the cabinet, please?' Albedo concentrated on the vials in front of him. You nodded as you went over to the large cupboard to get them. Sucrose nudged her glasses up, her nose and cheeks pink with the cold, reading some documents thoroughly.

'Here.' You gave a small smile as you handed Albedo the test tubes.

'Thank you, Y/N.'

His touch lingered on your hands for a second more than he should have, but you brushed it off. You then began to continue to help Albedo with the current research.

'Ah!'

Albedo flinched as he dropped a small beaker, clasping his hand as the beaker shattered onto the ground. Sucrose panicked as she hurried to get a dustpan and you cautiously stepped over the shards of glass to Albedo.

Albedo looked down at his calloused and worn hand.

'Sorry...' he mumbled, looking away, embarrassed.

You could see his ears and cheeks heating up as you gently took his hand into yours.

You grinned.

'This is why I should have bandaged your hands for you...'

'I have the dustpan!' Sucrose began quickly clearing up the glass.

'Thank you, Sucrose!' You said brightly.

Albedo nodded, as Sucrose poured the contents of the dustpan into the bin.

'Albedo, I think we should continue another time...' Sucrose looked worriedly at the alchemist, who gave a brief smile.

'You're... quite right. I shall go to my room, for the time being.'

You nodded. 

'I'll take you there.'

You didn't want to seem too eager, but Albedo didn't complain so the both of you began your way to Albedo's room. Sucrose stayed in the lab, looking dumbfounded.

The alchemist's room was rather plain but felt so much of him, like the faint smell of chalk or how everything was neat and organised. You took Albedo and lightly shoved him into his bed, then brought the blanket over his body. His hands were the only thing that were hurt, but you were just being extra precautious, knowing that the alchemist would always try one way or another to continue working.

'Thank you, Y/N. Would you like to sleep alongside me?' Albedo looked up at you.

You froze, not knowing what to say to that.

I would love to, to be honest.

'Relax, I'm joking.' Albedo gave a light laugh at your confused state.

'Oh, really?'

Albedo rolled his eyes but smiled warmly.

'Get in.'

'Are you – '

'Don't make me repeat myself.'

You slowly slipped into the bed and shuffled next to Albedo, your skin pricking with heat.

'You're so tense. I'm not going to do anything.'

Albedo turned on his side to face you, gazing into your eyes.

'I... um...'

You were not expecting this. Usually, you would be the confident one, yet Albedo was definitely being strangely flirtatious.

Albedo's hands cupped your face as you stiffened up in anticipation. He then let go and rolled over, so he was on his back.

'Um... I should get going... Sucrose is...'

Albedo sighed but nodded, still looking at the blank ceiling.

'If you must.'

You obviously did not want to leave, but if Sucrose walked in on you two, it would have been quite difficult to explain.