Princess Marinette Estelle Catherine Barlowe, granddaughter of Queen Margaret Eloise Barlowe and heir to the throne of Aularyn. Betrothed to Adrien Nicholas Edmund Sowden since birth.

Princess Marinette...

Princess...

Marinette slowly peeled open her eyes to see Adrien hanging over her.

"GAH!" she cried, jumping a little and flailing away.

Everything seemed to be falling apart around her.

"Oh boy, this is terrifying," she said, beginning to hyperventilate. "How am I a princess?"

"You were born by royals," Margaret--her grandmother--simply replied. "But ever since your parents were lost, you're now first in line to the throne."

Marinette grit her teeth together.

"What do you mean, were lost?" she asked.

Margaret pursed her lips together for a moment.

"It was a long time ago, not long after you two were born and were betrothed," she explained. "Attackers came and killed yours and Adrien's parents, and destroyed Gavaria. We were lucky to save you two, and we brought you in hiding in Paris, where you would live normal lives until we could get the situation under control. Since I'm good friends with the Agrestes, and Emilie was friends with Tom and Sabine, they all agreed to help raise you two, and you two became Adrien Agreste and Marinette Dupain-Cheng. But now that we've gotten rid of the attackers, you two can come home and regain your royal positions."

(quick AN: yeah, so i've noticed in those types of stories that the attackers usually come back, but we're not letting that happen. this is mostly for princess diaries references, lightheartedness, and adrienette)

"And we figured once you two married down the road, we could bring faith back into our people that our heirs are still strong," Margaret finished. "But of course, we have a little long ways to go, considering your upbringings. We'll be able to teach you all you need to know, from etiquette to style."

"Wait, so we just leave? Like right now?" Marinette asked, worried.

"Oh, heavens, no," Margaret replied. "We can do most of our training right here. I was thinking we could make the move once the school year finished out."

Marinette quickly thought it over. Summer vacation was in seven months...

"I've already talked to your guardians, and they've already agreed," Margaret continued. "We just need to know if you two would want to go for it."

Marinette and Adrien shared a look.

"When would we start?" Adrien asked.

"I figured tomorrow, since it's the weekend and you would have the night to think about it," Margaret said. "If you agree, come here tomorrow at 9 AM."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Marinette, honey, is everything okay?"

Marinette held her stuffed cat tighter.

"Marinette Estelle Catherine Barlowe," she muttered. "You couldn't think to tell me at one point that I'm actually Marinette Estelle Catherine Barlowe, a princess? Not to mention that I've been in an arranged marriage with Adrien for almost 15 years now?"

Sabine pursed her lips.

"Marinette, we didn't tell you because we didn't know how," she said, sitting next to Marinette and gently running her fingers through her hair. "It's not every day you find yourself requested to raise such an extraordinary girl like you. We've wanted to tell you all this time, but we didn't have any idea how to ease it in."