Chapter 2: In The Lady's Bossom

The Lady's Bossom. Strange name. But if you would ask every man you see staggering at night on the streets, most would say they were coming to or from this place.

This popular spot is a big tavern in the capital, where commoners and nobles alike come and go. This tavern is a local favourite, but it is even more famous to visitors as a legendary aura user once spent a week there in their inn at the upper floors and rewarded the establishment by surrounding the building a layer of defense made up of his own aura for having the best service.

On one rainy night, a room on the top floor of The Lady's Bossom was occupied. There were aura users staying at the bottom of the stairs that led up to the fifth floor, guarding, as per the management's regulation.

One of the guards silently nudged the one beside him and then whispered, "I've been here for a month, it was not what I expected."

The guard was Barry, a newly promoted guard. Barry began to work at The Lady's Bossom seven years ago as a common guard at the tavern, then got promoted to guard the inn, and finally realized his dream of guarding the secret top floor.

The man Barry nudged glanced at him, "We're guards. We stand and guard. What else did you expect?"

Barry frowned, "Isn't the top floor a very important secret floor? A secret place is very sought after. I expected to face waves and waves of trespassers, but I haven't even heard a single squeak from a mouse."

John gave Barry a weird look, "If you wanted to fight a bunch of bandits, go join the damn army."

Barry shook his head and patted his pockets, "No thank you, this job pays a whole handful more."

John gave a thumbs up, "Yeah, and what else does a man need?"

Barry rolled his eyes at his simple-minded friend and then patted his back, "You know, there is a lot more to life than money and beer, like action and new experiences."

"But there is nothing more important to life than being alive." John immediately retorted, and then cautiously looked around before whispering slowly, "You know, our boss is powerful and mysterious, what makes you think his enemies are weak? If someone is able to cross pass the barrier and break in, I bet all we could do is make a lot of noise to warn the management, if we don't get killed immediately."

Barry looked at John's serious face and felt his body go cold. "Are you fucking with me, brother?"

John shook his head, "I'm dead serious. Now, all we can do is hope no one breaks in, and continue our lives with a full pocket and belly."

Inside the occupied room, there were two figures sitting face-to-face each other, a lukewarm tea was in front both of them.

"My master has decided to continue experiencing the world. From now on, you will be talking directly to me."

"Understood."

The one in a bartender's uniform was Timothy. Timothy has worked as the bartender of The Lady's Bossom for over two and a half decade now, known for being silent, straightforward, and rough, which contrasts to his particular and social job. Unbeknownst to most, he also had another role, one he was very good at. An informant. But not just any informant, rather, also a middleman between the clients and the most infamous assassin since before the reign of the Silent Emperor, the Ghostly Assassin, Moon.

And now, the Ghostly Assassin himself was having tea in the middle of the capital, where he was listed as one of the most wanted criminal.

"Actually, not much would change. "

Timothy just gave a one syllable hum, which made the assassin sigh quietly. It was hard to continue conversations between introverts.

Timothy was actually still quite stunned. The boss did say she had an apprentice, but he never thought it was the Ghostly Assassin!