Chapter 3: A Letter

In fact, when you are strong, assassinating is not the hardest part about assassination. The hardest part is the technicalities.

Even before the first meeting, you need to prepare by confirming the reliability of the other party. Then you need to set up a meeting where both parties can feel secured.

During the first meeting, it is a tough battle between people who just want the benefits as much as possible. You establish temporary trust, all the while trying to show the other party that you are no pushover, otherwise, you will likely lose out on the transaction. This is why you should choose wealthy clients.

And on the last meeting, it is another tougher battle of vigilance and faith. You need to reap the results of the temporary trust you established, all the while being cautious of any signs of betrayal. After all, this is the last transaction. The client gives the payment, without certainty of the completion of the mission. On the other hand, the assassin kills the target, which will stir up some hornet's nest, without certainty of being paid for the effort and entanglement.

Of course, there are more ways to transact. It is different for every organizations. Some has their own upfront pay policy, down payment policy, or a-limb-for-pay strategy. For short, it is a risky and unpredictable industry.

That is why Timothy is constantly receiving a steady amount of requests, because their transaction was less risky, moreover, it was the Ghostly Assassin himself doing the work, which guarantees the reliability and ability.

The people that intends to avail the services of the Ghostly Assassin only has to be rich. After all, they would need to pay twice the amount upfront. And after the completion of the request, half would be returned to the client. This transaction is mostly leaning to the organization, however, with the Ghostly Assassin's reputation, there has been no major issues.

After decades of circulating news about the Ghostly Assassin and his deeds, he had become a legend. A legend to the common people, but a perfect, albeit expensive, assistant to those with power and ambition—except to one.

"They have come again?"

A tall masked person suddenly appeared behind Timothy as he peered outside the window.

"Who?!" Timothy was shaken by the sudden intrusion.

He saw the familiar mask and calmed himself down, although his heart was still beating quite quickly. He swallowed, then scolded the person.

"Your Excellency! Please don't suddenly appear out of nowhere! I'm not yet obsolete, but I am old enough to die of shock!"

Moon lightly smiled under her mask. When she removed it, Timothy only saw a frown as her gaze directed at the leaving carriage downstairs.

Timothy's brows also scrunched, "They never failed to visit everyday ever since their request was turned down. They are quite the persistent ones."

Moon nodded in agreement, "How many days have they been coming?"

Timothy closed the window when the carriage was out of sight, "It's the 12th day today."

"12th?" Moon echoed.

The two fell into steps as they approached the receiving area in front of the office table. Timothy sat on one side of the longer seat, and Moon directly sat on the head of the table on her own. There was already a tea set on the table, but Moon appeared later than Timothy expected, so it had gone lukewarm.

"Your Excellency, her letters arrived today, there's also one for you." Timothy pulled out something from his coat and politely handed it to Moon.

Moon received the black envelope sealed with red wax. She inspected the seal and saw the familiar flower that she had always somehow seen all around that old lady, the leather flower, or simply clematis.

Just like clematis flowers which are often discontented to stay in one place, her master had never been one to settle down. This personality was so severe that among all her nicknames, Wandering Lady was the most prominent.

Moon has long learned to be independent, she didn't really mind if she was left behind, but her master's physical body wasn't the only one who's prone to wandering—her mind also often did. Moon still held some grudge about her unreliable mentor, but she would never admit it.

The room had become silent, only the sound of paper rubbing could be heard as Moon opened the envelope and pulled out a single folded paper.

Timothy sat on the side, subtly observing Moon as she read the letter. Timothy couldn't figure out what the letter contained. Moon had no expression throughout, however, Timothy barely saw her pause, before continuing to move her eyes. It seemed to be short as not even a minute had passed before she inserted the letter and envelope in her coat.

"There seems to be new orders?" Timothy hesitantly asked when he saw that Moon was done reading.

Moon glanced at him, then tapped on the armrest with a complicated face, "12, was it?"

Timothy was taken aback, then realized, "Yes. The client from the eldest princess' palace had been persistent for 12 days so far."

Moon nodded lightly, then pursed her lips, "If they continue to persist to the 16th day, then we will give them what they want."