🚕 THE TAXI DRIVER 🚕

In an old apartment, there lived a man named Robert, a 50-year-old taxi driver. He lives with his granddaughter. His granddaughter's parents died in an accident when she was young. She does not have any relatives to raise her. Some of them refused to raise a child because it was a hassle and thought to bring her to an orphanage, so Robert decided to raise her. There were difficulties at first, but they got along. They lived happily, and they were able to sustain their daily life. But that everyday life has come to an end.

Taxes came flooding into their lives. The price is very that they can't afford to pay it. Their bills began to pile up, which made the family suffer financially. Robert has been working nonstop while raising his only granddaughter.

One day, Robert ate his breakfast before going to work, and the granddaughter, whose name is Ruby, was preparing for school. After he finished eating, he took his lunch box and car keys.

"Grandpa, are you going to work?" Robert's granddaughter called out to him.

"Ah, yeah, I have to go to work because we need to pay bills by next month," Robert replied.

"Oh, okay, take care of yourself while you work, and don't overdo it, Grandpa."

Robert smiled at her, gave a head pat, and ruffled her hair. He left her and bid goodbye. At the same time, his granddaughter went to school. He worked all day long did not bother with the sun's heat, as long as he could save money for his family and live happily.

The afternoon came when the boss of the taxi drivers called out a meeting for an announcement. The taxi drivers, including Robert, gathered together and went into the hall. They are so confused and start whispering to one another about this announcement that their boss is talking about.

"Everyone settles down, settle down. Alright! I called out a meeting to tell you that we will reduce the number of taxi drivers." Their boss said.

Everyone was so shocked by the sudden changes. The drivers started to question their boss. Some were mad about it, and the rest started complaining.

"We have no choice. The government ordered us to lessen workers due to the coronavirus outbreak. The virus would not spread much with fewer people, and it is safer than taking the risk. I have a list of people who will remain working and those who aren't. I'm very sorry." He continued to explain the reason and the current situation.

A few minutes later, the staff posted the list of names on the bulletin board. The taxi drivers rushed to the bulletin and checked their names. They kept pushing each other, didn't care who they bumped into, and all of them were focused on it. Some of them are relieved, and the rest are against their decision. Robert checked the list, but his name wasn't there; the man was so depressed and went to his boss' office.

He knocked at the door and waited. He heard the word "come in" and went inside.

"Excuse me, Sir?" Robert peaked out of the door.

"Oh, Robert. What can I help you?" The boss said.

"Why is my name not here? I have been working here for 20 years. I can't lose my job, and I have a family to feed. My grandkid only relies on me, and she doesn't have anyone else." He asked and stated his reasoning.

"I'm sorry, I know you've been working here for so long, and I respect that. But it was a presidential order, and I had no choice. The government said, "Older and with underlying medical conditions are at higher risk of the virus being affected," meaning you are among them. Please understand. I'm just following orders."

Robert frowned, but he understood the reasoning. He has no choice but to retire and feels no purpose anymore. The commotion continued until the day ended. Robert left with his retirement funds in hand and continued walking back home. All sorts of thoughts came through his head.

"What am I going to do? Without a job, I can't do anything."

Robert kneeled on his knees and started crying. While grasping his funds, he screamed so hard at the top of his lungs. Robert prayed to God, asking for help. He prayed for hours, desperate to call for help. Robert was depressed and stressed out because all of his problems flooded his life without stopping, and he couldn't handle it.

What is he going to do?

How will he pay all his bills now that he has lost his only job?

How will he explain this to Ruby?

How are they going to live?

"Oh please, please help me." Robert pleaded.