🚕 THE SORROW OF THE OLD MAN 🚕

Robert went home, still not recovered from the shock he went through. But he cannot let his granddaughter know what had happened. He put on his usual smile and went into his apartment.

"I'm home!" Robert shouted after closing the door.

"Welcome home, Grandpa!" His granddaughter came running and greeted him.

"How was school?" He asked.

"I'm doing great, and we learned National heroes." She said proudly.

"Oh?"

The older man and his grandchild came inside and sat on a sofa. Ruby proudly mentions how great her day is, until;

"Yes, but we couldn't finish because the teacher said we should head home." Ruby pouted and frowned.

"Huh? Why?" Robert asked.

"They said that a virus is spreading in our country, and we maybe are infected." She replied.

"Ah. Is that so..." Robert frowned, and his granddaughter noticed it.

"Grandpa, did something happen? Why are you sad?" She asked.

Robert went silent before he answered.

"Well, this old man right here lost his job."

"Huh?! W-Why?!" She said in shock.

"Because my boss said I'm old and could get infected with the virus." He hugged Ruby and continued. "So, for now, we should endure this, and don't worry, I will find a way to feed you every day. I will ask Lorraine if she could lend us some money and food."

"..."

"Ruby?"

"Grandpa, you don't have to worry about me. I don't care if you lose your job. I am glad that you are home and doing alright."

"Are you okay about this?"

"Yeah! Even though there's a virus, we should still stay positive. Hehehe."

Robert's eyes widened and sent a gentle smile to her.

"Your right. We should stay positive." He patted Ruby's head, and she giggled. "Thank you, dear."

"Your welcome." She grinned.

Robert may be discouraged, but he did not give up. Every day, he went around to look for a vacant job, but he could not find anything. Robert was about to lose hope but could not do that because there was a family to feed. So he decided to went back to his old job.

"Sir! Sir Ron!" Robert called out his old boss.

"Huh? Robert? What are you doing in here?!" His boss asked.

"Sir, please, I'm begging you. I need this job. Please give me another chance." He pleaded.

"I already told you. That you can't."

Robert kneeled and tugged his old boss's pants. He started crying.

"Please just this once. I don't know what I am supposed to do. My family is suffering right now, and I have nothing to feed. I can't even pay our rent anymore. I can't afford to lose a job. Please, I'll do anything! I'll accept any task just please help me. Please!" He begged.

The boss looked down and sighed.

"Okay. Fine! I can't stand against you."

The older man looked up.

"Y-You mean." He stuttered.

"Yes. I will allow you, but you should prepare for this. I'm serious."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you so much. I owe you one."

"Alright, alright. Your lucky that there's a spot available right now."

"Where are you going to put me, Sir?"

"I will assign you to the airport cause no one likes to come near that area. Can you do it?"

"Yes, sir! I will do my best." He said happily.

"Right, just be careful. Old man."