👩‍⚕️ THE DOCTOR AND HER SISTER 👩‍⚕️

In a laboratory, scientists were trying to formulate a vaccine for coronavirus. They worked day and night to find the cure.

One night, in a messy office, a woman named Sarah, a Pharmaceutical scientist. She is one of the assigned to create the cure. She spends two days in her office without sleeping. She was writing her report and stopped for a moment. She leaned in her chair while holding her forehead because she was tired. She breathed in and sighed.

"Maybe I should head back for today," Sarah said.

Sarah packed her things and went home. She rarely goes home because of her work, even before the pandemic. Sarah has a sister named Alex, and their parents have already passed away. She was the oldest, so she took responsibility for looking after her sister. Even though she took the role, she does not interact with her sister that much because of her job. Her sister is a medical student and was about to graduate.

"I'm home!" Sarah shouted after closing the door.

Sarah arrived home safely, but no one greeted her. Surely she thought she was already asleep at this hour. Sarah went upstairs to go to her room to sleep but suddenly stopped because of the light coming from her sister's room. She opened the door slowly as she saw her sister doing homework.

"Alex?" Sarah called out to her sister.

Alex did not respond and heard her because of her sister's earphones.

"Alex." She tried again, but much louder than before.

Alex finally noticed her and took the earphones off.

"Oh, hey, Sarah, overnight again?" Alex asked.

"Yeah, what are you doing? Homework?"

"Yeah..."

Suddenly, they both went silent with an awkward atmosphere. Sarah can't come up with a topic to talk about because she has not spoken to her for years.

"Um, how have you been doing?" Her sister decided to speak again.

"Ah, well, you see, I've been doing fine, just having overnights these days, because..."

"Because of covid-19, right?" Her younger sister cut her off and forced a smile on her.

Sarah noticed this impulsive behaviour. She thought of the words to speak without making things worse carefully.

"Y-Yeah, I have to stay in the lab for days to make a cure to end this pandemic."

"What's the difference?!"

Sarah was startled by the sudden outburst she received from Alex and the angry expression she showed.

"You Never Went Home, And You Never Show Up Even Before this Goddamn Pandemic! You Always Say Your Busy, And Make Up Next Time! BUT THAT NEVER HAPPEN!!" Alex exclaimed.

"I... I'm sorry." Sarah mumbled while lowering her head in shame.

"You sorry?! HA! Now you are sorry! I don't need your sorry! Not even once! When I was trying to call for help, you were never to show up! It doesn't matter to you that you left me alone! YOU KNOW WHY! Because you never cared!" She continued her rambling.

"I-I'll make up to you, I promise!"

"Save your promises to yourself and get OUT!"

"But I..." Sarah reached out to her sister.

"I SAID GET OUT!!!" Alex shouted once more, pushed Sarah out of her room, and slammed the door to her older sister's face.

Sarah stepped backwards as she hit the wall behind her. She cried not because of how she was treated but the guilt that she did not give attention to her younger sibling.

"I'm sorry. *sniff* I'm so sorry. *sniff*." She continued to cry while hugging her legs close to her chest.

On the other side of the door, Alex was coughing none stop and had difficulty breathing. She covers her mouth while clutching her chest so hard.

"Sarah, I'm so sorry... I had to."