|| Deadnaming ||

Transfolk, non-binaries, and a lot of other people decide to change their name because they don't feel comfortable with it. Here's an example of deadnaming:

Melissa is a trans girl. Her name used to be Matt.

M: "Hey Chad."

C: "Hi Matt."

M: "Um, actually, I go by Melissa now."

C: "Well, I've always known you as Matt, so I'm gonna keep calling you that."

BONUS:

M: "Well I guess I'll just call you asshole then."

[Inspiration from a meme I saw]

Here's what wrong with this situation.

Chad is completely ignoring the fact that Melissa is uncomfortable being called Matt. Pronouns and names aren't meant to make YOU comfortable, CHAD.

If someone uses certain pronouns and/or goes by a different name, respect that! How would you like it if someone used wrong pronouns/name for you? Think of it like this: When someone mispronounces your name, that's obviously frustrating, right? Well, that's how they feel when you misgender them. 

I have a friend who used to go by she/her pronouns, and in the records, he's still a female. One guy I know is homophobic, and deliberately uses she/her pronouns and his deadname, no matter how many times I correct him. He also referred to a non-binary person as she. When I corrected him, he said "I don't care." and continued to talk about whatever shit he was talking about.

Anyway, to sum it all up: RESPECT PEOPLE'S PRONOUNS AND DON'T DEADNAME THEM.