Drizzling difficulties

The warm morning sun made itself comfortable on my face, which was to the cost of my sleep. I laboriously tried to snatch a minute or two of sleep. But in vain. I stretched and straightened up. Quickly I got ready for school and went downstairs to the bakery. My parents were already putting the pastries in the display case. I greeted them with a kiss, grabbed a croissant and headed back upstairs. From the refrigerator I took the cold orange juice, filled it up in a glass and sat down at the dining table. I peacefully ate my breakfast and let my eyes wander over the street.

There was already a lot of activity on the streets. People were out in cars, on bicycles, or simply by foot. Some were running, others were walking relaxed. The world was never at rest, only the people in it were at rest. And one of them was me. But today it was different. Today I belonged to a different group of people. It wasn't often that I got up this early, not to mention having breakfast in the morning. There was so much time to myself that could be used productively.

'Could be used productively'...

Quickly, I got off my chair and ran to my room. I took my Chinese notes from yesterday and sat down on the bench. Who knows if I would even find time to review what I had learned after school today. On the note were the syllable 'ba' with the four different tones. I briefly repeated which tone sign again clarified which tone. 

The horizontal bar (━) made a long and bright sound. As if you were singing in the soprano. The slanted bar upward (') was something like a question tone. The downward slanting stroke (') represented a short and curt tone. The third tone, that is, the upside-down roof (v) I somehow couldn't quite describe, but it was a mix of the two slashes. In a sense, you had to take the tone off and then put it back on. Good, that was a lot to process. 

Taking a deep breath, I set my lips to speak the syllable with the first sound. 

"Baaaa," and immediately I thought of an opera singer again. Adrien had told me that he felt like he was at the dentist. I laughed. Learning languages is so interesting, but it can also be fun. Even pronouncing the second and fourth notes wasn't much of an art, but the third note was still a challenge. Even if Adrien said I pronounced that one very well, I think I definitely have a lot of room for improvement. 

I flipped my piece of paper over and there were some words that Adrien had written down so I could practice my pronunciation more with those. I ran my fingers over them. For a boy, he had really nice handwriting. But he's also good at everything. No not good. He's perfect. He's perfect in school, he's a perfect son, a perfect friend. A perfect role model. 

I put the note to my right and looked at the ceiling. I was happy and I was... grateful. I was grateful for the opportunity to spend time with Adrien. Not everyone gets this opportunity to spend time with a loved one. My eyes glazed over and a tear even seemed to flow down my cheek.After a moment of silence, I packed my bag and headed to school a little early.

~~**~~

Before heading to the classroom, I headed toward the teacher's lounge to turn in my homework assignment to Ms. Mendeleiev. I made my way to the classroom when Alya caught me on my way. We hugged in greeting and walked together to the classroom. 

"Girl, how come you're at school so early today?" she asked me, playing detective. I looked at her questioningly.

"I don't know, I just got up early today," I answered honestly. Alya laughed.

"When you had such a great day yesterday, you sleep like baby and get up early too," she winked at me and nudged me lightly with her elbow. I scrunched my eyebrows together. 

"I don't quite understand," I said, confused. What did having a great day have to do with sleeping well, though? 

"Wait... you did not... Alya!", I said a little too loudly in realization of what she was alluding to. My sleep had had nothing to do with Adrien after all. I looked at her sternly, but this girl merely made the decency to shrug her shoulders and smile smugly. I rolled my eyes and together we entered the classroom. 

Most of my classmates were already there. Upon entering, Alya and I greeted everyone together and were about to take our seats when I suddenly noticed Adrien's gaze on me. I met his gaze and he smiled. I grinned back, quickly looked away and made my way to my seat even faster. Silently, I tried to breathe away my excitement and regulate my pulse. Why couldn't I just talk to Adrien like I would to anyone else? I rubbed my hands together and straightened my back. Luckily for me, Ms. Bustier came into the classroom not a minute later and began her history lesson.

~~**~~

The double lesson was very interesting. The topic was the French Revolution, more specifically today we covered the storming of the Bastille on July 14, 1789. Thankfully, the lesson was over right when Ms. Bustier was going to give us homework, so she ended up leaving it. Along with Alya, I stepped out of the classroom and sat down on a bench in the recess yard. I pulled out my breakfast and ate with relish as Nino approached Alya. He seemed to be in a hurry because he excused himself briefly and immediately dragged Alya away with him. 

I looked after the two of them for a moment, but didn't really think anything of it. As a couple, you always have things to talk about. I sighed. It would be an experience for me if I also had a boyfriend. But honestly, that still has time. Not that I want to delay it. But as time goes on, the right things occur. I've learned that often enough in my life. Both as Marinette, and Ladybug. 

As I was about to get up to throw my breakfast bag in the trash can, Adrien came toward me. Not wanting to seem rude, I tried to remain seated. I looked at him uncertainly, because I really couldn't see what he wanted from me. Had I said something wrong yesterday? Did I say something that could have hurt him? All of a sudden panic overtook me and I quickly tried to run away, but I was too late.

"Hey Marinette.", he said with a confidence I wish I had a fraction of. I had a hard time breathing rationally, but still managed to open my mouth.

"H- H- Hey.", why the hell am I having such a hard time talking to him?

"Have you seen Nino by any chance? He looked pretty worried this morning and walked out of the classroom without a word after history," he asked me, looking around simultaneously, hoping to catch his best friend. Now I was also worried about what could be bothering Nino so much that he had to call Alya in so quickly. I stood up and looked around as well. 

"He took Alya with him, but I don't know where they went," I answered Adrien's question. He pressed his lips together and rubbed his forehead. I followed his every gesture and it reaffirmed the fact of what a kind person Adrien actually is. Just the fact that he's so worried about his best friend. 

"Well, I'll keep looking then. Thanks anyway, Marinette.", he turned to leave. 

"Wait.", well, that was unexpected. He turned his head in my direction and immediately I froze. What is wrong with me lately? 

"I-I'm coming with you. After all, Alya is with him and I want to stand by her if it's something to worry about," I didn't believe myself at that moment that I, Marinette Dupain-Cheng, had taken that courage to offer my great love, Adrien Agreste, such a thing. Nervously, I played with my hands and shifted my weight on one leg. Determined, Adrien looked at me and smiled. 

"I would be glad if you accompanied me," and he led the way.