Helpfulness

The time was getting close so I had to get ready for school. Even though with this newfound realization I no longer knew what I was holding onto and what my motivation should be, I didn't change my daily routine too much and made sure that at least something in my life remained the same as it always had been.

And that's why I arrived late to class. I entered the classroom and my eyes fell on Adrien. He smiled at me, but my feeling inside was empty. No joy, no happiness, absolutely nothing. I felt nothing, maybe I didn't want to feel anything. I wondered if he smiled at everyone like that. I smiled casually, apologized to the teacher and went to my seat. Alya looked at me for a while, but said nothing.

~~**~~

After class, I went to the schoolyard with Alya as usual and ate my breakfast there. I didn't have the urge to say anything, so I remained silent. However, Alya seemed to suspect something as she couldn't take her eyes off my face.

"Girl, something is wrong with you," I stopped eating and looked at her. She was right, nothing was right with me currently. I didn't even know if there was ever anything right with me. I had no idea what to tell Alya. She would never in her life believe that my feelings for Adrien had disappeared from one day to the next. After all, yesterday I had been unbridledly happy that Adrien was coming to see me, and today I probably wouldn't even care. I didn't even know if I ever cared that I had interactions with Adrien.

"It's just that I have a headache. A lot of things are different and new in my life right now," I replied, leaving her a lot of room for interpretation. Alya put her hand on my shoulder and nodded.

"I understand completely. I'm sure the sudden change with Adrien is taking a lot of adjustment for you." as I did intentionally, she unintentionally left me just as much room for interpretation. And yet, she was right. The sudden change with Adrien took a lot of getting used to. I didn't even know it until yesterday that I could feel anything for Adrien other than love. My twofold heart throbbed inside me like poverty and wealth. I was rich in love, but poor in knowledge. Now I was poor in love, but rich in knowledge.

I nodded barely noticeable and devoted myself again to my croissant, when at that very moment Adrien and Nino came towards us. Alya stood up and jumped right into a conversation with Nino. I looked up and my eyes met Adrien's.

"Hey, Marinette. Are you feeling better now?", Adrien asked me. I tried to feel a change in my heartbeat, my body temperature, my breathing rate, anything, but everything stayed the same.

"Yes, I feel better. Thank you.", I answered him and was actually very surprised that I was having a normal conversation with Adrien. Until yesterday, I would never have imagined that.

"I'm glad!", he smiled contentedly and was about to leave when I stood up and reached for his hand.

"Adrien, wait.", he stopped and turned to me. I looked at him determinedly and let go of his hand.

"When do you have time for another session?", I asked him. After all, we are still missing a meeting for a week. He blinked twice and answered.

"If you want, we can meet today. I should actually have time," I thought for a moment. Today should fit. I nodded.

"Alright. Just come by then, I'll be home anyway.", I smiled at him one last time and sat back down. At that moment, Alya also finished her conversation with Nino. They said goodbye and Nino disappeared with Adrien. Alya sat down with me and once again looked at me closely as I continued to eat my croissant.

"How come you were able to have a normal conversation with Adrien?", I interrupted my food and looked at her slightly disappointed. Like it was something impossible to have a normal conversation with a guy you love. Loved.