VII. July 1447

VII

July 1447

Great Totham, Essex, England

"Family, I have news that I must tell you of." My Lord clears his throat, and everyone places their spoons on the table. Is this news good or bad? I wonder. The whole family- the little ones included, John, Thomas, and Edward, all incline their heads towards the Lord their father. Humphrey, that loathsome braggart, is staring with narrowed eyes at the last custard tartlet, which sits directly in between us.

"As you were made aware of, Cardinal Beaufort died a few weeks ago, God rest his soul." We nod, and cross ourselves.

"It seems that since then, my sister-in-law's family have faced a little of a struggle," My Lord says. Edward frowns beside me.

"The Duchess Cecily's family- your aunt," I hiss, nudging him, rolling my eyes, for he is rather dim, poor soul.

"To state the matter simply, Cecily's niece, her brother the Earl of Salisbury's daughter, Alice, is to be married soon, and she is to pay a visit for a while with us, while she prepares for her marriage," My Lady says.

"Who is to be her husband?" I pipe up.

"One Baron Fitzhugh."

"Oh." I wrinkle my nose, losing interest at the dim name, as William and Henry converse with My Lord and Lady. I reach over my empty dish coated in leftover sauce, and still smelling of spices, and snatch the custard tartlet. Humphrey's eyes grow wide. With a sweet smile, I lick the glazed top of the tartlet like a cat lapping milk. I have just done it to spite him, and I almost choke on the strong taste of saffron, as I pop the sweet sensation in my mouth, much to Humphrey's chagrin.

"So, I shall have some lady companionship," I say, clapping my hands, "At last!" I gasp these last words in a dramatic tone, fanning myself, and everyone laughs.

"Mayhap you will learn a thing or two from her," My Lady says, eyeing me meaningfully, for I am ever so ungraceful and outspoken still, despite her reminding me to behave properly. Why should I, why can I not run wild and free?

I put my hand to my heart, feigning shock. "Me? Learn? But I know everything; I am the Goddess of wisdom!" I smile round demurely as they laugh at my dramatic antics. Humphrey, as expected, is glaring at me, but he does not quell me!

So, I am to have a friend. I wonder what Alice will be like. How many years has she? I am sure whatever age, she will be very beautiful and she will arrive with a trunkful of beautiful clothes to the boot, perhaps even of Burgundy silk... Oh, how blissful! I sigh outwardly, and suddenly see My Lady regarding me in a somehow terrified way. She sees me looking, and quickly glances away, as a chill sweeps over me, towards the newly finished tapestry, depicting My Lord having been created a Viscount, rising, rising through the ranks, with his new coronet of nine, shiny, silver, gleaming balls.

"Elizabeth? Elizabeth, are you fully attired now? I can see Lady Alice's litter processing up the road," Henry calls, knocking on my bedchamber door a week later. I let out a squeak, and hurry just in my smock and pull open the door, wrapping my arms around myself. Henry blinks, stepping backwards, shielding his eyes, and goes quite red.

"Elizabeth, cover yourself up!" I roll my eyes and smile bashfully, looking at the manhood he is now growing into; his taller height, his firmer stance, the way he is beginning to fill up his doublet, so that it does not fall limply and loosely like a monk's habit. Before, I would have teased him endlessly as he would have delivered that sentence in a shrill tone, but his voice has since broken into a lower, calmer wave of tone.