LI. Winter-Spring 1463

LI

Winter-Spring 1463

Groby Hall, Leicestershire, & Grafton, Northamptonshire, England

Whilst my husband is off besieging Lancastrians, having turned and become a faithful Yorkist, I am anxiously waiting in an antechamber, on a quest for his sister Bess. By a funny chance of fate, Bess' mother-in-law, the Baroness Ferrers, has re-married, and she has re-married to none other than John Bourchier! So Bess' new stepfather-in-law is my old brother-in-law, which is somewhat strange and confusing. I have not seen him for so very many years- I do expect he has grown into an affable youth from the small boy I knew- and see him now, wedded to a Baroness in her own right, just as I am. Oh, how the Bourchiers- how Isabel- likes to secure and snap up the heiresses, no matter how old. Doubtless, she'll be finding William a second wife, and one to match his new status as heir to the earldom of Essex. How they have risen high. Now William has inherited the title Viscount Bourchier, I doubt he thinks of my poor Elizabel, I think bitterly.

I sit here refolding and folding my hands in my lap, admiring the tapestries, of Patient Griselda and the like about the room, when the door opens. A young man stands there, his eyebrows bristled together. I rise, not at all too sure how to address this man, who I was never even rather close to when we lived in the same house. My heart wanes a little, for in him, I can see in him a likeness of Henry. Of course, this man has dark, close-cropped hair, and his face is squarer, but he has those blue eyes- Henry's eyes, my baby Isabel's eyes, so clear and piercing, and he is of the same more nimble build. I swallow.

"My Lady Scales, what an unusual honour this is." He bows uncertainly, and I curtsey to him, kissing his extended hand. "What do I owe the pleasure of your sudden manifestation here?" With these words, I realise that this man is a complete stranger, not a brother, for he does not address me as Elizabeth, or Lizzie, as he knew me, and the word 'manifestation' does not bode well.

"In truth, I was wondering if your lady wife was present?"

"She is currently indisposed," he says shortly. Ah. How convenient.

"I send my best wishes for her swift recovery to good health." He inclines his head. How strained this is! I decide to move onto the reason for my journey here.

"Mayhap you can still help me alone concerning this delicate matter. It involves your stepdaughter-in-law." John shifts- although it is correct to even presume informality with the man before me, whom I barely know- mayhap calling him Baron Ferrers would make me feel more at ease.

"You mean the Wydeville girl."

I click my tongue at this, pursing my lips. "Yes, my sister-in-law, Dame Elizabeth Grey," I say mildly. He may be my poor dead Henry's brother, but his manner is so very tart.

He strains his eyes as if he were musing. "Oh, yes, you married the Wydeville boy." His lip curls. I feel my cheeks bloom with heat. Anthony is no boy, he is my robust, spirited husband, who could be injured besieging Alnwick in Northumberland this very minute, and there is naught unsatisfactory in his peerage for me, which the Baron seems to implicate. I draw the conclusion he has become intolerably ill mannered. Did Lady Isabel truly raise all her children to this? I swallow down, trying not to rise to him, and smile good-naturedly. He has not even asked me to sit down, or taken me to another chamber. Well, he won't be rid of me that easily, even if his wife chooses not to see me!

"You owe the honour of my visit because I come to ask of you if you may have some persuasion with your lady wife regarding the matter of your step-grandson's inheritance. I have knowledge of the dispute betwixt my sister-in-law and your good wife upon this matter." I shift from one leg to the other. I endeavour to keep a straight face, even as the corners of my lips twitch. Step-grandson sounds stranger out loud! For John is a man, of what, something and twenty, and he has a step-grandson not shy of his tenth year, and his own stepson was older than him when he unfortunately was called to God's arms? Oh, he has married the Baroness for her title and wealth; I cannot doubt it, for the situation is so awkward!