Chapter Nine

"I underestimated you. Who would've thought that a poisonous spider would be sitting on top of my crown this entire while? You're very observant. Let me reward you," the queen remarked, her voice filled with surprise and admiration.

Neil hesitated for a moment before responding, "I don't need a reward; let me walk away as a free man and cancel the debts Mr. Knight's family owes you, your highness. That'll suffice."

A thoughtful expression crossed the queen's face. "That can be arranged. I can also offer you a job here in the royal army. And for saving my life today, I wanted to award you the royal medallion. It carries great prestige."

Neil, feeling a mix of gratitude and unease, bowed awkwardly. "Thank you, your highness."

"Before you leave, I'll be honoring you at the Season-Ending Festival. Meanwhile, I want you to train with the royal guard. Commander, I want you to pay special attention to this lad," she commanded, turning to the commander. "After receiving the medallion, come meet me. I have a very special assignment for you."

She clapped twice, summoning a maid who hurried toward her. Whispering something in the maid's ear, she sent her off. Within moments, the maid returned with a letter. The queen sealed it with Cascadia's official stamp, her smile betraying a business-like demeanor that made Neil shift uncomfortably on his feet.

Handing him the letter, the queen declared, "This is your official invitation to the festival. Make sure to attend. Now, I must attend to other matters." With a flick of her robe's sleeves, she exited the court, her head held high.

As the puzzle of events settled in Neil's mind, he expressed his gratitude to Mr. Knight and his family, a wave of relief washing over him. He let go of his tension as if releasing a lantern into the sky.

Time flew by, and before he knew it, the month had ended, and the annual Seasons Festival was upon them. Neil continued living with the Knights, who were overjoyed to hear that their debts had been cleared. Mr. Knight, in particular, felt immense relief knowing that his children wouldn't be trapped in perpetual servitude.

During this time, Neil continued his training with the Knights and frequently visited the castle in the afternoons, where he received instruction in archery and swordsmanship. The commander-in-chief paid special attention to him, often engaging in duels to sharpen Neil's combat skills beyond those of the other guards in training.

Despite the commander's age, his movements resembled a fly trapped in a spider's web. Sticky joints and a trembling right arm made his parries clumsy defenses against Neil's attacks. While still a novice, Neil's actions were wild and unpredictable, steadily improving with each day of intense training.

As their swords clashed, all eyes were fixed on them. They moved with flawless footwork, employing common defense techniques.

By the end of their intense hour-long duel, the commander's energy began to wane while Neil decided to unleash a relentless assault. Eventually, Neil disarmed the commander, catching the sword in mid-air before it landed in his waiting hand. The commander smiled and graciously patted him on the back, signifying the end of the duel.

As Neil entered the castle to quench his thirst, he noticed the bustling activity. Carts filled with long lanterns, merchants with rolls of white lace, and colorful ribbons flooding the courtyard indicated the preparations for the upcoming festival. Neil was delighted that the Knights would accompany him for the night's festivities.

The festival was a grand affair, and the castle gates opened to the public. The outdoor spaces were adorned with decorations showcasing the prosperity of the nation. Excitement permeated the major cities, such as Kestramore, Finder, and Vostein, as news of the festival spread.