Chapter Twenty-two

The old commander-in-chief delighted in the company of the young men, regaling them with tales of his illustrious past until nightfall. He shared anecdotes of his glory days, paintings crafted in his honor, ancient engravings, and rare guns. Autographed letters from esteemed individuals were read aloud. Meanwhile, the weary recruits, yearning for their beds and stifling yawns, listened and observed, their legs numb from a day spent tirelessly honing their swordsmanship since dawn.

"Your Highness, are you paying attention? Can you recall what I just said?" demanded the commander-in-chief.

"My apologies, I didn't catch that. What did I miss?" inquired Cassius.

Sighing, the commander responded, "I mentioned that your footwork technique needs refinement, your highness. It was somewhat sloppy towards the end of the duel."

"Understood. I will make sure to address it. Thank you for your guidance," acknowledged Cassius.

"Very well, gentlemen, let's call it a day. Your majesty also appears fatigued," declared the commander. The young recruits, expressing gratitude through glances, finally made their way to their tents.

On the palace's second floor, a series of five opulent suites formed a straight line, offering an uninterrupted vista when the expansive sliding doors were pushed against the walls. At regular intervals along the suites, there were sharp turns, each unveiling a distinct and captivating sight.

The middle of each suite wall was adorned with tall, narrow Gothic windows that overlooked a closed corridor, following the meandering path of the suites. These windows were made of stained glass, their colors matching the prevailing hues of the chamber they opened into. For instance, the windows in the easternmost chamber were vibrant blue, while the second chamber had yellow ornaments and tapestries, resulting in orange-tinted panes. The third chamber featured a green color scheme, reflected in its casements. The fourth chamber was decorated and illuminated in violet, while the fifth suite was enveloped in black velvet tapestries that cascaded from the ceiling and draped the walls, blending with the matching carpet.

Cassius entered the fifth suite and instructed the servants to prepare a bath for him. Despite the abundance of golden ornaments scattered or suspended from the ceiling, there was no source of light emanating from lamps or candelabras within the chambers. Instead, in the corridors adjacent to the suite, there were sturdy tripods placed opposite each window, holding braziers of fire. The flames emitted a radiant glow through the tinted glass, illuminating the room with a striking intensity.

Next to the suite, a bath was prepared for the prince. As he stepped into the bathing area, his eyes struggled to adjust to the darkness surrounding him. Apart from a single candelabrum placed near his neatly folded silk robe and towel, there was no other light source in the vicinity. The young prince could perceive the delicate scents of roses, lilac, and the fresh leaves of the poplar.

Undressing, he immersed himself in the lukewarm water infused with rose petals, enjoying the aromatic experience. The bathwater was delicately fragranced with the finest sandalwood and lavender essential oils. As he cleansed his skin, he washed away the accumulated dirt and grime.

"Your Majesty?" Upon hearing the voice, he froze, flooded with memories of their kiss. Eryx's lean yet masculine arms, soft and fragrant, encircled his neck. Cheek to cheek, they shared an intimate moment, accompanied by the sound of a tender kiss. The initiative taken by Eryx caught him off guard, but he couldn't help but be amazed by his partner's ability to surprise him.

He recollected how his heart raced and his hands trembled visibly after the kiss. The touch of Eryx's arms around his neck left a lingering sensation as if his skin had been anointed with oil. A faint, cool tingle remained on his left cheek, where he had felt the warmth of Eryx's cheek against his stubble, reminiscent of the refreshing sensation of peppermint drops. The more he rubbed the spot, the more pronounced the coolness became. From head to toe, he experienced an unfamiliar and powerful sensation that continued to intensify. It was a euphoric feeling, unlike anything he had ever known.