viii.

 ☠︎︎ ☠︎︎ ☠︎︎ ☠︎︎

☠︎︎ ☠︎︎ ☠︎︎ ☠︎︎

"i'm so happy i woke up every morning to go run back at the prison." samantha reminisced as she leaned against a tree trunk beside carl while he bottle fed his sister. she held her hand above her eyes to block the beaming sun shining down on her. from where she stood, she could barely see the charcoal smoke that was left over from the burning buildings — which she considered was a good distance for them to rest.

the brunette's eyes slowly glanced at everyone around her as she was finally given a breather. she was reunited with her family again and some additional people that were picked up along the way. don't get her wrong, she thought they were nice people after hearing glenn vouch for them, but she hadn't gotten the chance to actually talk to them and get to know them so she didn't think of them as family. yet. if they were really as nice as glenn said they were, then it wouldn't take too long to think of them as part of her family.

when samantha's eyes landed on rick's, she was half surprised to find him already looking at her. he gestured for her to come over with a tilt of his head and she obliged, kicking herself off the tree trunk and telling carl a quick 'be right back' before she made her way to his dad.

as she neared closer, she could see him reach into his back pocket. "i think you should do the honors of giving this back to its respective owner." he stated once she was in front of him, and handed her glenn's pocket watch.

samantha scanned it as her blood stained fingers wrapped around the item. debris still covered it, so she used the hem of her t-shirt to clean it to the best of her ability. though it was still dirty, she was now able to see the roman numerals unlike before. the corners of her lip lifted the tiniest bit at the sun's glare that reflected off the glass. call her crazy, but she could practically feel the tug from the watch as if it knew its owner was close by.

samantha nodded to rick in appreciation before turning and walking over to the rhea couple. "i think this belongs to you." samantha said, placing the possession on top of the man's palm.

glenn didn't understand what it was at first, but then his expression shifted from confusion to recognitition. "but i thought..."

"when they were serving us 'food', i noticed it in the pocket of some guy. he tried to deny it, but i knew it really belonged to you."