Chapter 48: Voldemort's downfall

"You have performed extraordinary magic with this wand, my Lord, in the last few hours alone", Severus said gently.

"No", Voldemort replied. "I am extraordinary, but the wand resists me".

"There is no wand more powerful. Ollivander himself has said it. Tonight", he continued to change the topic, "when the boy comes, it will not fail you. I am sure of it. It answers to you, and you only", Severus replied casually.

It was hard to control my breathing. I didn't know what was going on. Why isn't the Elderwand working for him? Why is it resisting him it doesn't make any sense to me. I so desperately wanted to open the door just a bit and peek an eye through so I could see something, but I restrained myself from doing so.

"Does it?", Voldemort said. "My lord?", Severus asked in a confused tone. Someone was moving, but I didn't know who it was. "The wand, does it truly answer to me? You're a clever man Severus. Surely you must know. Where does its true loyalty lie?", he asked him so openly. I heard Severus reply with: "With you of course, my lord".

Voldemort continued. "The Elderwand cannot serve me properly because I am not its true master. The Elderwand belongs to the wizard who killed its last owner".

No. I was puzzling everything together. Voldemort believed that Severus is the owner of the Elderwand. I started sweating even more and got more anxious. I couldn't move a muscle.

"You killed Dumbledore, Severus. While you live, the Elderwand cannot truly be mine. You've been a good and faithful servant, Severus, but only I can live forever".

"My lord", Severus tried to reason but it was already too late. I heard a nasty noise and that's when I regained the control of my body again. I moved towards the door, tears already threatening to fall down my cheeks. Potter held his hand up to stop me and just when I wanted to kick down the damn door, did I hear a body fall against the glass.

"Nagini, kill", was all he said. I didn't even realize that the snake was there as well. The snake attacked him, my hand flew to my mouth, hiding the muffled cries that were trying to leave my mouth. When I heard the already known apparating noise, I bursted inside. I heard his ragged breathing. "Severus", I cried and hurried towards him. My knees hit the floor and I tried to prevent the blood from leaving his body. The trio came in behind me and was looking at the scene. One of their favorite professor and member of the Order of the Phoenix, was trying to help the man who murdered Dumbledore in cold blood, but I couldn't have cared less.

Slowly, Harry made his way towards us. "Please, Severus. You can't leave me", I whisper cried and I couldn't control my tears any longer and let them fall freely. He wasn't looking at me, but at Harry. A few tears were very slowly leaving his eyes. "Take them... take them, please", he tried to say it, but the pain and blood loss wasn't making it easy for him. Harry turned around towards Hermione and hurried her to find a vial in her purse. Seconds after she found one and handed over. Harry stepped closer to us again and very gently collected the Severus's tears. "Take them to the pensieve", he murmured, and I knew he would lose his conscience any moment now. He was holding the vial safely in his hands, making sure not to drop it.

Severus onyx eyes were looking at me now. His hand managed his way up to my face and he wiped a few tears away with his thumb. "I love you. Always have, always will", and then, he took his last breath and I bursted out in tears. "No, no, no", I screamed, not caring for anyone to hear me. My body burned with pain. I couldn't comprehend anything anymore. I only heard my own echoing scream in my own head.

Suddenly I heard discordant sounds and I knew Voldemort was in all their heads, but I wasn't able to listen to a word he was saying. I couldn't tear my eyes away from his body. I lost him. I hated myself and I felt such anger, anger I never realized I could feel this much all at once.