𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘰𝘯𝘦 ― 𝘮𝘪𝘥𝘥𝘭𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘢 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘮𝘢𝘳𝘦.

brooke was a close friend of egon spengler. the famous ghostbuster who saved new york from ghosts in the 1980's. her family died when she was just a baby so she didn't know much about them. luckily for her, egon found her on the sidewalk of the streets and raised and took care of her as his own; weird, considering his real daughter never actually knew him. egon also shared his knowledge about science and brooke really got influenced by that.

~

2014
APRIL 15

"papa! papa!" she continously tugged on his shirt, bugging him to get off his butt from his chair.

egon laughed. "yes, brooke? is there something you need?"

"it's windy outside now! you promised we'd play outside! we made the kite and everything!"

he giggled, giving into what she wanted. after all, he did promise. "alright, alright..." he slowly and carefully got off his chair, since he's old and no longer has the speed someone more youthful would have.

"c'mon! let's go outside!" brooke happily laughed, running as fast as she could outside, almost tripping.

"wait for me, brooke!" he yelled, smiling on about the young girl he raised.

he made it outside and saw brooke trying to let the kite fly, but it wouldn't, since she didn't know how to work it.

"here, let me show you how to do it." he said, taking the kite from her hand to demonstrate and rolling it out into the air, letting it fly.

"waaaahhh!" she looked up at the toy in amazement. "that's so cool!"

"would you like to hold it?" he politely asked.

"yeah, i do! i do!" she excitedly exclaimed, jumping up and down while her impatientness grew.

"okay! okay..." he handed her the kite carefully, and she looked amazed, utterly fascinated to the toy.

"do you know how kites fly?"

"mmmm...." brooke pursed her lips, thinking in her head. "lift? upward air force?"

"yes! exactly. you're so smart, brooke. i can tell you'll grow up to be as smart as any scientist."

brooke gasped. "any scientist?"

"any, scientist. i believe in you." he giggled, pinching the side of her cheeks with his fingers and they both laughed together. happily, like a family.

~

june 2021.

it was midnight in the abandoned town of summerville, the silence only disrupted by the crickets bouncing from the night and the wind blowing from the windows. brooke woke up in the middle of her sleep due to hearing a fairly odd sound coming from downstairs... her light-sleeper inside of her decided to take advantage of a good sleep she hasn't had in a while.

she slowly twists the doorknob of her door, all her movements continuing to be slow and steady. she creaked the door open and listened even harder but aside from hearing the movements she was doing, it all seemed quiet... too quiet.

"egon?" she says feeling scared, hesitant to make her voice any louder.

"egon!" she says again louder calling for his name.

she searched the entire interior of her house to find spengler, but she was down to no luck. she searched the dining room, kitchen, entirety of the upstairs floor, living room, backyard, everywhere... but it was all dead ends.

her feeling of paranoia grew and grew by the second, even starting to think egon decided to leave her like her parents did. thinking she meant nothing to him anymore.

as she just opened the door to go back inside, she heard the scream, deadly screech of what she could only guess to be her greatest fear and interest... a ghost.

she rushed to the living room, hoping that ghost haven't done anything to egon, but when she got there, she realized she was too late.

her eyes teared as she saw egons body lying on his armchair that he'd always sit on, lifeless.

she gasped, covering her mouth in shock, trying to hold her tears back as it flooded harder and harder like a tsunami. she ran to the armchair, kneeling down beside spengler, yelling his name while shaking his arm, hoping he's not dead, despite his eyes being wide and his skin being pale.

"egon..." she choked on her tears. "EGON!" her voice escalated to a shriek filling the entire house.

brooke started to wail and cry, letting out what couldn't be held in anymore. she pressed her forehead against his arm, crying and screaming egon's name. screaming what she couldn't get back.

~

"sorry, miss," the cop who came to brooke's house with a team said to her after examining the house again after brooke yelled at him to thoroughly search again. "no signs of foul play from anyone. we just found that thing on the floor and the only one who had fingerprints on it was him." he pointed behind him. brooke looked up from the body to where he could've been pointing and realized he was referring to the P.K.E meter they had just picked up now. her eyes widened, immediately rushing over to snatch the ghost detector from them.

"WAIT!" she yelled, yanking it from the other cop's hands. "i have to keep this."

"miss, we're gonna need that for further inspection." the other detective who came to the crime scene reminded.

"no, this thing is fully harmless. it purpose is just to detect and tase ghosts."

the two detectives looked at brooke weirdly as she hugged the machine in her arms, letting it slide and letting themselves wonder about what the hell that could mean and just let her keep the machine.

~

"good night, ms. devon." the detectives respectfully greeted goodbye and brooke just responded with a polite wave. she quickly shut the door, turning around and leaning her back against the door. she looked around the living room, the house feeling so scary and empty now that egon's gone... it doesn't feel right. it's too different. a bad different.

water started forming in her eyes again. even more tears she didn't know she was holding back. she slowly slid her back against the door down to the ground, gripping her hand on the cloth of her shirt over the place her heart stayed.

"i'm sorry, egon." she sniffled. "i'm sorry we couldn't keep us together... i miss you. i wasn't ready for you to die." her lips trembled, her tears getting too much to handle that her vision started to get blurry because of it.

"please come back."

~
~
~
1073 wc