CHAPTER FIFTEEN

The first night was the worst night

The first night was the worst night. Dealing with the fact that her brother was truly gone, and not on one of his many adventures settled onto the woman's shoulders. In the long run, Isabella always knew deep down that if Ben hadn't made it back to the farm yet, he was gone. Despite this, she preferred to live her everyday life imagining that her brother was off, living his life on some wild adventure. Living his life to the fullest, before walking down the hill towards the farm to be welcomed home with the open arms of his older sister and his young niece.

Ben had always been a free spirit. He loved to book one way plane tickets to anywhere he could go, before coming home after he felt like he had learned and consumed everything he could. The nights that he would come home, Ben, Isabella and Ginger would sit together on the front porch catching up. These were Isabella's favorite nights. Her and her daughter wrapped up in a warm blanket where they would listen to Ben tell them in full detail every new thing that he saw and experienced while he was away.

Ginger was laying in Isabella's bed now, sleeping off one of the worst days of her young life. While Isabella sat on the chair beside her bedroom window, looking out to the small crackling embers of the fire that the group had tonight to make their dinner. After Isabella had sat her daughter down with Daryl to break the news about uncle Ben, her uncle Hershal had disappeared, so Glenn and Rick went to go find him. Beth had gone into trauma shock after seeing the walker form of her mother being killed before her very eyes. After the initial shock, Isabella didn't know who said what to the young fragile girl, but that was the day that Beth Greene tried to take her own life.

The day was chaotic, and it did not go well for anyone. Everywhere she turned it seemed like someone needed something from her; all while trying to console her grieving daughter. It wasn't until everyone had gone to sleep, that Isabella allowed herself a minute to sit. She watched over her daughter that night, anxiety bubbling up in the pit of her stomach. Isabella's biggest fear was something happening to her daughter, and during the time since the outbreak had started, she felt as though they were safe on the farm. That was until she found out about the walkers in the barn. It is hard to trust the people that are surrounding you, when they are putting themselves and your daughter in an unsafe situation.

Isabella decided finally, she couldn't sit in this chair anymore and quietly made her way out of the bedroom. Down the creaky stairs and out of the front door to sit on the porch swing. It was here, where she was out of earshot from her daughter that the woman let the tears that she worked so hard to keep down, finally fall. The woman held back her tears all day long, before the waterfall of tears fell from her eyes. The woman hiccuped through her emotion, before seeing a car pull up to the house. She quickly wiped away her tears before sitting up straight trying to get a better look at the approaching car. Once it got closer and the engine cut, she could see Lori and Shane both exiting the vehicle. The woman sighed before settling back down into her spot, watching as the two went off to their separate tents without saying a word to one another. Isabella didn't know for sure, but she knew that something was wrong with those two. Something that she couldn't quite place, but she quickly noticed the off handed glances that they thought no one saw and the quick passing conversations.