CHAPTER SIX

Isabella could feel Daryl tense under her hands at the question her daughter shot at the man

Isabella could feel Daryl tense under her hands at the question her daughter shot at the man. She herself didn't even notice the long dark purple scars on Daryl's back until her daughter had said anything. "Come here kid." Daryl said quietly, holding out his arm for the girl to join the two on the bed.

Isabella glanced up at Daryl before looking back down to working on his wound. She worked on cleaning it out as Ginger's small feet padded up to the bed before she crawled up to her mothers bed and sat beside Daryl. Slowly, she reached out to touch Daryl's back making him flinch slightly and Isabella push him back so she could continue working. The man muttered an apology before turning his head to look up a Ginger. "It happened a long time ago kid." He told her quietly.

"Does it hurt?" Ginger asked, touching one of them softly. Daryl chuckled before looking away from the girl and up to the ceiling fan that spun around slowly. "Just the memories." He replied, Ginger tilted her head to the side slightly before nodding her head slowly. Isabella took out her stitching kit after she finished cleaning the mans wound and started to stitch the wound shut making the man take a deep intake of breath. "Sorry." Isabella whispered before she continued to do her work as Ginger occupied his attention by telling him stories, or explaining the plot to an old sponge bob episode.

Daryl would chuckle every once and awhile or ask her a question which would make her trail off onto a different rant, and soon Isabella was finished stitching the mans wound and wrapped his torso up tightly with a large white bandage. She stood up off the bed making both Daryl and Isabella stop talking and look up to her. "You're all set. Just take it easy for a few days. No heavy lifting and maybe stay in bed for a day or two because if not you'll keep ripping the stitches open." She told the man making Ginger gasp.

"Ouuu that's bad. Mommy had to stitch my arm once when I fell and I ripped mine open too." The little girl said, showing the man the back of her arm from when a dog bit her a few months before the out break. Daryl grabbed the girls arm gently and inspected the scar. "That's pretty badass huh?" He said to her with a chuckle making Ginger slap her hands over his mouth. "You can't say bad words mommy doesn't like them." She said to the man, putting a finger to her lip to signal for him to be quiet.

"You two okay up here? I'm going to clean up and bring you up some dinner." Isabella said, directing her words to Daryl. The man nodded his head before saying, "The munchkin can stay. Like her stories." Before slinging his arm over his forehead and closing his eyes. Isabella smiled slightly and nodded before turning to her daughter.

"Now Daryl has to rest so don't bug him okay? If he looks sleepy come downstairs." She informed making Ginger nod her head quickly and settled herself against the pillows of her moms bed. "Can I tell you a story?" Ginger whispered loudly to Daryl, leaning over him to see if he was still awake. A half smile broke out onto his face as he replied with a yes as Isabella smiled to herself and left the bedroom with her supplies in her hands.

The woman brought everything downstairs to put it away when she was met face to face with Rick. "He's resting, leave him for the night. You can ask him questions about the girl in the morning." She told him making Rick nod his head and grab some of the things from her hands to help her.

"Can I talk to you about something?" Rick asked as the two walked to the downstairs bathroom. "Yeah sure." Isabella hummed putting the stitching kit underneath the bathroom sink. "I need you to talk to your uncle and convince him to let us stay here." Rick said, dumping the dirty water from the bowl in his hands down the drain. Isabella stopped what she was doing and looked to the man beside her. "I thought you guys wanted to leave?" Isabella questioned, having heard whispers of the group leaving anyways. Not realizing it was her uncle telling them they had no choice but to leave the farm once Carl was fully healed and ready to go.

Rick shook his head and sighed. "Your uncle wants us gone. But we can't keep running. Please, talk to him at least, if it was you would you want Ginger off this land if you finally found someplace safe?" Rick questioned. Isabella raised her hand to stop the man from talking once he brought her daughter into the situation. "I'll talk to him, but I make no promises to you that it will work." She said before taking the bowl from him and walking out of the bathroom.

The kitchen and dinning room was bustling with laughter and different voices chatting over the others. The woman placed the dirty bowl into the sink before grabbing three plates from a cupboard. She turned to Carol who was standing over the stove and gave her a smile. "Can I get Daryl and Ginger something dinner? They're upstairs talking still." Isabella explained with a smile making Carol smile back saying "Of course" before grabbing the three plates and dishing out some food before handing them all back to her.

Isabella held two plates in her hands, while one was tucked in-between the nook of her arm. "Were you ever a waitress?" Carol asked with a chuckle making Isabella nod her head. "Had to help pay for school somehow right?" Isabella replied with a smile before thanking the woman for dinner and heading back upstairs. 

Climbing a flight of stairs with three plates of steaming hot plates of food, Isabella had reached the landing and headed down the hallway to her bedroom. Upon entering she had found Ginger laying with her head at the foot of the bed, looking up to the ceiling fan with a pillow propped under her head. Daryl doing the same at the opposite end of the bed. The two were talking back and forth quietly which warmed her heart to see.

Due to the lack of father figure in Gingers life, it was sometimes hard for her to form a bond of interact with men. She would shy away behind her mother and say very little to any man that came around. But with Daryl and some of the other men in the group it seemed to be different. They were kind to the girl and would sit and listen to anything she had said. They would ask her questions about her day or what she was doing. But her bond with Daryl seemed to be different. They would always be found together talking, Daryl putting up with Ginger's rambling like he never had with anyone from his own group before.

Now the thought of this group leaving broke Isabella's heart. If they left, Ginger wouldn't only lose Daryl, but she would lose Carl too. Even Dale and Glenn. Ginger had found friends in these people, they were the first people she had since since having to leave school.

"Who wants some dinner?" Isabella said clearing her throat and grabbing the attention to the two talking. "I do!" Ginger said happily and excepting her plate of food. Isabella handed Daryl a plate of food as well making the man thank her softly. "Mind if I join you two?" Isabella asked Ginger, who in return made room on the bed for her mother to join them.

Isabella sat on her bed, crossing her legs and eating the dinner the woman had made for them. "You got some good cooks down there." Isabella said to Daryl, making the man raise his head and look back at her. "It's defiantly a change from squirrel." He replied referring to the chicken they were eating.

"You eat squirrels?" Ginger asked curiously making the man nod his head. "I catch 'em." He told her making her eyes widen. "Like hunting?" The girl asked making him nod his head again. "Mommy does that!" She said pointing up to her mom making Daryl look back to her to confirm what the five year old had said. Isabella chuckled and shrugged her shoulders. "Guilty of that one I suppose." Isabella said making daryl give her a half smile.

"Maybe you can come with me one day." He said, making Isabella give him a smile and nod her head in agreement.