CHAPTER TWO

The sun was shining again, the rain didn't last long; it never did

The sun was shining again, the rain didn't last long; it never did. Opening her eyes slowly, Isabella almost screamed when she saw eyes staring down at her. "Mommy come on its time to go check the mailbox!" Ginger said with a large smile.

Isabella rubbed her eyes clear of sleep before sitting up groggily. "Okay, give mommy a second and I'll be downstairs," Isabella said with a raspy voice. The small five year old nodded and ran out of her mothers room quickly.

Knowing that there wasn't going to be a letter waiting for Ginger from her teacher, Maggie and Isabella wrote one instead. They wrote a letter explaining how the schools wouldn't be up and running for a long time because of a sickness going around. The letter even 'signed' by Mrs. Mathews herself.

Tying the lose string that held up Her pyjama shorts tighter, Isabella walked out of her room and down the hallway so she could go with Ginger. Once downstairs with her feet stuffed into a pair of old Nike slip ons, she followed her energetic and fully dressed daughter outside the house.

Together the two walked down the long driveway, it was a normal day on the farm, peaceful. They talked about Gingers favourite Spongebob character; Sandy and her favourite Barbie movie; The twelve dancing princess. Finally getting to the end of the driveway, the white mailbox had its small little red flag sticking up signalling just inside laid mail. "I'll get it!" Ginger said excitedly and letting her little legs carry her quickly to the box.

Reaching up and opening the mailbox, Ginger snatched up the letter and ran back to her mom. The two walked hand and hand to the farmhouse and settled down on the bench swing on the porch. Ginger climbed up onto her moms lap and Isabella opened the letter already knowing what the letter was going to say.

"Dear Ginger Evans," Isabella said reading the letter to her daughter. "I am sad to inform you that school will not be back up and running for a few more months, the sickness that's going around has been hard to keep at bay. I hope to see you again when the school doors open for students again. From, Mrs. Mathews," Isabella sighed and looked down to her daughter who looked so upset about not being able to go to school.

"I'm so sorry sweetie, you can go back soon I promise," Ginger nodded and the two sat looking out onto the large farm land, watching as the horses ran around in their pen playing games with each other. "You know that no matter what, mommy will always love you," Isabella said to her daughter, pushing her bangs out of her face and kissing her daughters forehead softly.

"I know mommy, I love you too," Ginger said with a smile looking up to her mom. They stayed where they were for quite some time, when out in this distance Isabella could see a man running towards the house carrying something. "Ginger go inside and get puppa Hershel and aunt Maggie," she whispered standing up and directing her daughter in the direction of the front door.

Isabella took off running towards the man, when she was close enough she saw that in his arms was a little boy. "What happened?" She called to him, "He was shot, by your man!" The stranger called back. Isabella knew that it was Otis that shot the poor boy, "Is be bit?" She asked, the man shook his head. "Okay good, follow me," she said and led the man to the house.

"What happened?" Hershel asked his niece from the porch steps. "Otis shot his son, no bite but he's bleeding a lot. We need to get him into a room and see where everything we wrong!" Isabella said rushing into the house and leading the man into the first floor guest bedroom. The man placed his son down onto the bed and Isabella looked up at him.

"What's your name sir?" She asked him, "Rick, Rick Grimes," he said, his response slow and dazed. "Okay Rick, I'm doctor Isabella Evans, I'll be taking care of your son okay?" The man nodded and Isabella lifted the boy slightly looking for an exit wound. She sighed, her suspicions being confirmed.

"What is it?" Hershel asked walking into the room with his oldest daughter and half sister walking in the room behind him. "The bullet is still in him, we need to get it out of him as soon as possible, because right now it's just playing a game of ping pong with his organs," she said cutting the boys shirt off.

A different man came running into the room, "Who are you?" Isabella asked, "Shane," the man replied. Isabella nodded her head and looked to the two men. "You're going to have to hold him down, I need to dig out the bullet." She said, pulling in a pair of gloves and grabbing a pair of tweezers. "What?" Rick asked in disbelief.

"I'm sorry Mr. Grimes but if I don't get this bullet out of your son he's not going to live to see another day! Now hold him down and do not let go!" She yelled. The two men nodded and held down the boys arms and legs. Isabella took a deep breath before moving and inserting the tweezers into the boys bullet wound and searching for the bullet.

The boy thrashed around and screamed making her feel worse, she didn't have the right medical supplies to give him anything for pain. "I got it!" She called out as Maggie and Patricia ran around with cloths and anything else Isabella would need where Hershel acted as her person nurse.  Putting the tweezers out she pulled out the bullet ready to stitch the boy back up. She placed the bullet in a tin container, she worst thoughts coming true.

"What is it?" Rick asked. "The bullet," she whispered shaking her head. "By the looks of it, the bullet broke off into six different pieces when it hit your son sir, and I don't have the medical supplies I need to save him." Isabella whispered. "Where the hell can we get them then?" Shane snapped.

"You need to get the hell out of this room sir, this matter doesn't concern you!" Isabella snapped, angrily the man walked out of the room. Isabella made sure to stable Carl after asking Rick if he knew Carl's blood type. Luckily they were the same because Carl needed blood, and a lot of it.

Maggie had run off to get Ricks wife and Isabella led Rick out to talk to him and Shane. "You two aren't from around here, I know that. When everything got bad, the town set up a medical centre and the old highschool. But it was quickly overrun. What I need to save your boy is in that school and if he doesn't get it tonight he's not going to live," Isabella told them both.

"We'll go," Rick said, Isabella shook her head. "You will do no such thing cowboy. You and I are the only ones with blood types matching your son and he is going to need a lot of blood. You can't go too far."

"I'll take him," Otis finally said, "Its my fault the boy is in there anyway." Isabella nodded and gave her oldest friend a small smile.

"Alright," she sighed, "I'll write out a list of what you need," she told them. Walking off into the house so she could save this boys life.