CHAPTER NINE

Isabella's day was full of doing work around the farm until Glenn walked up to the woman, Ginger perched on his shoulders

Isabella's day was full of doing work around the farm until Glenn walked up to the woman, Ginger perched on his shoulders. "What's up my two favourite crazy kids?" Isabella asked with a smile, reaching up and wiping some dirt off her daughter's small chubby cheek. "Do you want to come on a walk with us mommy?" Ginger asked with a smile making Isabella wipe her hand on her jeans and nodded her head. "Sure darling, where are we off to today?" Isabella asked, falling in step with Glenn the two walked their normal route around the farm. The three always talked about random things, or listened to Ginger tell stories on long tangens that entertained the two young adults.

"So, Maggie is interesting." Glenn finally said, making Isabella chuckle. "I was waiting for you to say something." The woman responded, a small smile on her face. The two had grown close in the small time that Glenn's group was on the farm. "Maggie is a hard woman to read." Isabella finally said. "But she has good intentions. She just wants what's best for the people around her - and she'll follow her father to the ends of the earth." Isabella talked on. Glenn nodded his head slightly, looking down to the ground below them and allowing Ginger to continue to rake her fingers though his growing hair. "Well, you and Daryl are getting close." Glenn finally said, making the woman laugh once again.

"Daryl is... he's a friend. A good man, and he's patient with someone we both know." Isabella said, looking up to her daughter who hummed to herself happily. "He's good to her, and she's never known someone like that before." Isabella told her friend, making him look at her. "She didn't know her dad?"

Isabella shook her head. "No, honestly - I don't think I knew him as well as I thought I did either." The woman admitted, still sending Glenn a smile. But it was painful and there was something behind it that he couldn't quite place. Her eyes gave a look that she was far away from where they were now - thinking about a time when her life was at its lowest. Glenn reached out, and grabbed Isabella's arm to make her stop walking. For a moment, he took Ginger off his shoulders and wrapped the woman in his arms.

"He-He won't hurt you again Isabella." Glenn said sternly, a promise. Isabella nodded her head, feeling small arms wrap around her legs. Isabella bent down to her daughter's height and lifted her into her arms for a hug. "We have Glenn to protect us, don't we darling?" Isabella asked her daughter, making Ginger nod her head and look at Glenn. "He's a superhero mommy!" Ginger exclaimed making the two break out into laughter as Isabella agreed. "Come on you two, let's go make something for lunch." Isabella said, making Ginger nod her head and start running back to the house with Glenn chasing her. Isabella chuckled to herself and walked back to the white house sitting on the hill, to make lunch for everyone.

On her way back, she passed Daryl's tent and poked her head in noticing the fabric door was open. "Hey, do you want lunch?" Isabella asked the man who was laying on his back, fiddling with an arrow. Daryl glanced over to the woman, giving her a small smile when he noticed it was her. "Sure." he replied, before looking away from her freckled cheeks. Isabella gave him a smile and nodded her head. "I'll bring it out shortly grumpy." Isabella told him, almost earning a laugh from the man - but getting nothing more than a smirk and a breath through his nose.

The woman stood up from sitting on her knees and started walking back towards the house. Once she was there, she found Glenn and Ginger sitting on the porch swing talking to Dale who was leaning against the porch railing. "Well hello you three." Isabella greeted with a smile. "Hi there Isabella." Dale greeted with a smile.

"You three hungry? I'm thinking soup for lunch." The woman said, her pointer finger bouncing on her lip as she hummed waiting for the three to stop sharing looks. "I like soup!" Ginger called before jumping up from the swing and landing on her feet. "Well come on then! I could use some helping hands." Isabella laughed, motioning for the two men to follow behind them. Dale and Glenn both followed behind Isabella and her daughter and into the kitchen of the white farm house.

Isabella handed Glenn a few carrots and a peeler, putting him to work while she dug through the fridge to get the leftover chicken from last night's dinner. "Mommy, I want to help too!" Ginger said from the kitchen table, the sound of the front door slamming shut making Ginger turn to the door. "Daryl! You're supposed to be sleeping!" The girl cried making Isabella look up and see Daryl walking towards them, holding onto his side.

"Resting darling, not sleeping." Daryl corrected the small girl. He sat on the closest chair to him, making Ginger lean across the table to look at him. "Now - what did you do today while I was busy listening to your mom?" Daryl asked the little girl. Ginger went on to tell Daryl about her walk with Glenn and her mom.

Isabella worked on cutting up the leftover chicken as she let Dale mix together the stock for an easy chicken noodle soup. They made a batch of more than enough food for everyone from both groups. Isabella grabbed a spoon, and lifted it to her lips full of liquid. "Tastes great." Isabella smiled at the older man which made him chuckle. "I cooked dinner every Friday night for my wife, it's not my first time making soup." the man told her, letting Isabella see the distant look of a long lost love in his eyes. "She was well looked after." Isabella commented with a smile.

The woman spooned soup into two bowls, one for Daryl and one for Ginger before walking to the front door and kicking it open. "Soups on! Get it while it's hot!" She called before making her way back into the kitchen and grabbing another bowl full. She made her way towards the front bedroom and found Carl looking out the window longingly from the bed. "Come on little man, time to eat." she said, slowly helping him sit up and get comfortable. "When can I come eat with everyone else?" Carl asked quietly, looking down to the bowl in his hands.

Isabella pushed his long brown hair off his forehead, part of her checking for a fever while the other part of her was trying to get a look at his blue eyes. "Soon enough little man, you're getting stronger every day."