meetings and lemon drops

Neoma was not having much luck tracking down Dumbledore. He seemed to be locking himself up in his office these days, and she didn't have his password to reach him. Asking another professor would only raise suspicion, which Neoma was desperately trying to avoid.

"Where are you going, Noma?" Narcissa questioned, using the nickname that she had created for the girl long ago. "It's almost curfew."

"I have to send an owl to my dad - I'll be back soon!" Neoma lied, pulling a sweater over her head. "Wanna do the Witch Weekly quiz when I get back?"

"Yeah!" Narcissa smiled, pulling a brush through her hair. "See ya soon."

"See ya." Neoma shoved her feet into a pair of slip-ons and made her way to the common room, hoping she wouldn't run into anyone. 

Of course, luck was an elusive little bastard.

"Neoma!" Ernest Parkinson exclaimed, standing up from the couch quickly. "Have you started the paper for Charms yet?"

"No," She shrugged, making her way toward the exit. "Sorry."

"Wanna do it together?" He smirked, crossing his arms. "It would give us some time to catch up." 

"Nope!" Neoma flashed him a false grin before turning on her heel to walk away.

Ernest frowned, his eyes meeting a third year's, who was watching the exchange with interest. He sneered in the young girl's direction before refocusing on his target. "Well, you and your father were missed this summer." Ernest's mouth spread into a grin as he continued. "We all found it rather suspicious. That's two years in a row, now."

Neoma's jaw clenched as she continued moving forward. It seemed that her mother's untimely death meant nothing to anyone without the surname 'Nott'. "Dead mother, Ernest."

"Blood traitor, Neoma." Ernest scoffed. "We all know about what she liked to do in her free time."

"You all know because -" her voice faltered, noticing that their argument was attracting the attention of many people. "Whatever." 

Neoma huffed and rushed out of the common room. 

--

Dear Professor Dumbledore,

I would like to meet with you about a matter of great urgency. I would appreciate it if the meeting stayed between us. 

-Neoma Nott 

Neoma tied up the small piece of parchment with the twine she brought in her pocket and handed it to her owl, Helios. "Just bring this over to Dumbledore, buddy." She cooed, using a finger to scratch the top of his head. "I'll bring you a snack tomorrow."

This seemed to be enough for Helios, who gave the girl a small 'hoot' before flying away into the darkening sky. Neoma watched for a moment, snaking her arms around her body as she stared out at the Black Lake, which was captured picturesquely by the small tower. 

"It's almost curfew," a voice spoke up from behind her. She jumped a bit, and frowned when she turned back to see a boy with messy black hair in gold and red robes, the head boy badge pinned to his chest.

"I was just leaving," she murmured, hoping he wouldn't start anything as she tried to side-step him. 

James Potter was a loud, spirited boy, who made his distaste for Slytherins quite clear. Neoma couldn't blame him, and he likely thought that she was just as bad as her fellow housemates.

"Should I escort you back to the common room? Make sure you don't hex any first years or kidnap any muggleborns -" 

Neoma frowned as she pushed by him awkwardly. "Goodnight, James."