KAITO

V1:

V3:

V3:

Language: Japanese / English

Gender / Voice Type: Male

Voice Provider: Fuuga Naoto

Company: Crypton Future Media

Release Date: February 14, 2006

Illustrator: Wasshi - V1

iXima - V3 Standard

Details: KAITO, along with MEIKO, were originally developed with LEON and LOLA for the release of the software "Project Daisy". KAITO had the codename "TARO" before getting his name change. In KAITO's first year, he was seen as a commercial failure since he sold only 500 units at the time. In January 2008, only 100 units sold, but by June, he would have sold an additional 1,000 units.

Etymology: The product's name was invited to be chosen by the public, and "KAITO" was selected from among the applicants, which was Shu-tP's offered idea. One of the reasons why his name "KAITO" was selected was because it would be easy for non-Japanese speakers to pronounce, and it looked fitting with the name "MEIKO" when they were put next to one another. KAITO's codename was "TARO"; it likely came from "Yamada Tarō (山田太郎)", a placeholder name for male characters and the Japanese equivalent to "John Smith". KAITO is often mistakenly called "Kaito Shion" or "Shion Kaito", particularly by overseas fans. "Shion" was a fan-created term used to refer to him during the 2007-2009 period. Due to its common sighting, it is still incorrectly used by fans as his family name even as of the most recent VOCALOID engine release. Officially, the character is known just as "KAITO"; he has no family name or surname.

Song: I Wish They'd Just Die feat KAITO, composed by Dobu Usagi