Chapter 1

Blair sat behind Rick as the helicopter flew them to the evacuation center just outside Midway City

Blair sat behind Rick as the helicopter flew them to the evacuation center just outside Midway City. Before she had left the hotel, she had called home to let them know she would be gone for a while longer, that something had come up.

Dick agreed to check in on the youth center while she was away, making her promise that she would be making it back home eventually. Maddie followed his agreement with one of her own, also promising to check in on the youth center and swearing to keep her Sherlock Holmes hostage until she walked through the door of Wayne Manor again. Jules backed her up. Then there was Bruce, just telling her to brief him when she got home. Good 'ole Bruce.

Blair looked out the window, down at the scene below. An entire city full of people was being shuffled between different tents and medical professionals. The actual city in the distance was smoking. It actually looked like the sun neglected the rise in that part of the world. "What the fuck happened here?"

The helicopter lowered them to the ground. Rick jumped out before they even hit the ground. Blair moved to follow, fully prepared to hit the ground running, but he held out a hand to help her down. The last time someone had helped her out of a helicopter was when Bruce had decided to get flashy with an entrance to a gala and both Alfred and Dick had helped her out for an "elegant" appearance, instead of having her jump.

She reluctantly took his hand, her feet hitting the ground. Once she straightened up, she looked up at him expectantly, "What happened to the briefing I was supposed to get, Flag?"

"Walk with me."

"I don't really have a choice," Blair rolled her eyes. "We're going the same way."

They walked through the camp, Blair glancing at the people as she passed by. Not too many were extremely injured, there were a few with broken bones and some that were just in shock, but overall, the majority of the people in the camp seemed to be up and moving. That was good... yet, she knew for a fact that there had to be some people that didn't make it out of whatever was happening in the city.

"In a few minutes, we'll be meeting with rest of the team," Rick started, moving out of the way of a group of what looked like bridesmaids walking through. "What I'm about to tell you does not make it to their ears, understood?"

Blair raised an eyebrow, "You want me to lie to my team?"

"They're on a need to know basis only." Rick shrugged, thinking it would be the end of the conversation.

The conversation was far from over. Blair was sent here to lead a team with this dumbass and she wanted her team to live. It would be a lot easier for that to happen if they knew just what they were up against. "And they need to know what's going on in order to fight whatever it is."