Chapter 7

Blair walked with the team through the destroyed city, heading straight for the giant ring of destruction in the sky

Blair walked with the team through the destroyed city, heading straight for the giant ring of destruction in the sky. Not for the first time that night, Blair and Rick were separated, Harley on one side of her, Floyd on the other, keeping Rick from standing to close to her. She had a mission to fulfill and when that was over, she'd either be dead or... she actually just expected to be dead. Somehow, that little fact didn't bother her at all.

Boomerang stepped out of the shadows, joining the group on Harley's other side. He flashed Blair a silver-toothed smile, "You rang?"

"Didn't think you'd come back." She said honestly.

"Couldn't quite tell ya no when you asked so nicely could I, love?" Boomer winked, throwing his can of beer aside.

Rick looked past Harley, seeing Boomerang on her other side, giving Blair a grin. She brought him back to the group, he wasn't sure how he knew that, but he did. He fell behind Floyd, falling into step just a few paces behind her to ask, "How'd you get him back?"

"Don't worry about it." She responded, keeping her gaze on the street in front of her. "He's back, that's all you need to know."

The minute her and Harley had stepped out of the bar, Blair had reached out to Boomerang the same way she had reached out to Harley on the rooftop. Despite being the first to walk out when given the opportunity, he had no problem coming back to the team when she asked. She didn't sugarcoat the situation, didn't promise him anything, yet he still came back, no questions asked.

She could've told Rick that, but he could've told her a lot of things that he hadn't.

"Bl—"

"Don't." She hissed, finally facing him in disbelief. There were other soldiers around, people she didn't know very well. If it was just GQ, she probably wouldn't have minded as much, but it wasn't. "Don't say my name around people who don't fucking know. I knew you were stupid, but I didn't think you were that stupid and besides that, I don't want to hear it. I want to finish out this mission and go home."

"We might not get to." Rick said quietly. They had said it beforehand, but now it felt real. They could die tonight, he could die tonight... Blair could die.

"Then I'll die." Blair shrugged. She had made her peace with dying a long time ago. If she died tonight, so be it. "Either way, I'm going somewhere."

Rick almost stopped walking. She said it so nonchalantly, without any emotion at all, like she didn't care that there was a possibility that she wouldn't be going home from this mission. It was like she had completely flipped off her emotions the minute she walked out of that bar. She barely looked at him, didn't care whether she lived or died— but he did. He cared, maybe more than he should.