Chapter 5

Blair stood on the roof with the team, waiting for Waller's helo to land, a foot of space between Rick and herself

Blair stood on the roof with the team, waiting for Waller's helo to land, a foot of space between Rick and herself. Since he snapped at her in the control room, things had felt off, like something had changed in the short period of time they had been separated. What, she had no idea, but something had gotten under Rick's skin. Maybe it was just an after effect of being around Waller for a prolonged period of time.

Rick glanced over at her, speaking to her for the first time since they left the control room, "Would you've really let them kill her?"

"Would you've really let her hit that button?" She shot back.

Instead of answering her question, he asked another one, "Would you've let them kill me?" Blair didn't answer right away, staring straight up at the sky. Rick accepted that as her response, "That's cold."

"I wouldn't."

He whipped his head back in her direction, completely ignoring the helo heading their way, "What?"

"I wouldn't have let them kill you." While it would've killed her to have to fight against her own team, she would've if it meant saving Rick. The longer she was around him, the more she found that she genuinely enjoyed having him around. "You're my partner, I made you a promise. You're not dying on me."

"You're not dying on me either." He promised and he meant it. Blair stayed silent, looking straight ahead. While she was the mind reader, not him, he could tell exactly what she was thinking. "About the control room—"

"I don't wanna know." She stopped him before he could rattle off excuses she really didn't want to hear. "I know enough. She killed innocent people and you're okay with it."

Rick shook his head, speaking quietly, "I'm not."

"Then why—"

"The less I argue," He tried to rationalize, even though the words coming out of his mouth felt like lies, even to him. "The faster this whole thing is over with and the less I have to deal with it."

Blair raised an eyebrow, "I find that hard to believe. We're in this now, Colonel." He met her eyes just as she shifted her gaze back to the helo circling the roof. "Task Force X, we're it."

Even if he wanted to argue, he knew it was pointless; Blair was right. This task force was created to take out threats no one else wanted to deal with, to fight the Justice League if necessary. This wasn't going to be a one time thing. Maybe it would be for her, but not for him.

Blair stared up at the helicopter, narrowing her eyes suspiciously. They weren't getting any closer than they were, which was at least ten feet away from the edge of the roof. Something was wrong. "What the hell is happening with her ride out?"