III: Why Not Follow Weird Stalker-guy? (ΠΕΡΣΙ pov)

title

I am not Rick Riordan, Disney Hyperion or Middle-Earth Enterprises, therefore I don't own PJO, HOO, or LotR. I do, however, own my storyline, my portrayal of the characters, my writings and quotes, and take responsibility for such.

Running to the gate before the guard could spot him, Percy found the place shadow-man had climbed over. He felt around for handholds. It would be possible, but how in the world had he done that so fast?

Sighing, he started to climb. He was nearly at the top when the guard; Harry, he'd said, got back to minding his post. With one last burst of strength, He pulled himself up and over the fence, dropping to the other side. Ow. At least he could do that. Training did pay off.

"You there!"

...It would raise suspicion to run. He turned toward the guard post, trying to look young and unintimidating.

"Yeah, mister?" Who would have known voice cracks would be useful?

"Boy?" his voice softened a bit. "What are you doing out here?"

He tried to sound like a country lad. "Well, me ma, you see, she says, "We outta water." Cuz, you know, we 's a big family an' we uses lotsa water. "You's got ta go fetch some from ta well 's in—"

"Yes, yes. Now run on and remember to stay safe. There's strange folk about these days."

A shadow moved to the side of the gate, under the guardpost so it couldn't be seen by Harry.

"Yessir." Percy squinted at the figure. He seemed to be following the hobbits. He should do the same, but... he could reconvene with the others later. He would assess this threat, if threat it was.

~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~

Percy had been following the man on a very roundabout trek for what seemed like hours. Now he'd lost him and thought he recognized this place. Yes, there was the bucket of water he'd tripped over, and the coil of rope he'd gotten tangled in. It was a wide square, but no doors opened into it. An arena with no witnesses. Had shadow-man been leading him on this whole time?

Leaves crunched behind him. Percy spun, uncapping his pen. A man stood behind him, who visibly started as the sword appeared. He quickly drew his own weapon. They stood for a moment, each trying to gauge the other.

Most obvious was the man's ruggedness, but there was something else. His eyes moved in a wild yet calculated dance, looking everywhere, not only at the threat before him. It was a look Percy had seen on many half bloods.

This was a man used to being hunted.

The man swung his knife.

But he was still a threat.

Riptide met it with a clang. It didn't pause there like a movie, though. A quick parry, lunge and they were at it in earnest. Yes, they went slower at first to judge the other's ability and style, but what is slow for master swordsmen is quicker than eye can follow.

Percy had a longer blade, but the man was taller. He had a different fighting style. Greeks used wide sweeps, while Romans stabbed. This winding, nearly mesmorizing way he flicked the knife, an eel drifting in the current, seemed... not quite wrong, but otherworldly.

This fight was too well matched. It would never end unless there was some other variable.

Casting around, Percy sensed the bucket of water sitting in the cobblestone alley.

Percy feinted, letting a jet of water follow through his thrust, catching his opponent off guard. As he was distracted he leaped forward for a leg sweep. The celestial bronze sword cut through the air then passed... through his legs. Looking up Percy watched realization dawn in the stranger's eyes. Uh oh. He'd overcommitted. While he crouched, the man brought the knife to his neck.

wc: 592

~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~'.~*,~

Wow, it's been almost a year! In apology for the long waits, I wasn't allowed on wattpad, and for awhile I lost interest in PJO and, by extension, this story. Upon a reread I felt this was terrible quality writing. I'll try to update this, but due to the length of the LotR books I may never finish. I also have a lot of other writing projects more important to me, and a ton of schoolwork. I have a speech tournament in two days and may move soon, so a lot of things are up in the air. That said, I want to finish this because there are so few, if any, finished LotR crossovers. I hope you forgive me and enjoy!

^ That was written awhile back; when I originally posted this. Now, my excuse is: I went to visit my Great Grandma in ICU, couldn't because covid restrictions, then we drove back. My excuse for future lateness is my phone battery is bad, & my sister likes her laptop. Welp, I'm all excused-out, so I'm gonna stop talking now.

We're getting there...gosh I can't type my hands are so numb.