IV: A Talkative Innkeeper ~or~ Nico Watches a Talk-Show (ΝΙΚΩ pov)

title

I am not Rick Riordan, Disney Hyperion or Middle-Earth Enterprises, therefore I don't own PJO, HOO, or LotR. I do, however, own my storyline, my portrayal of the characters, my writings and quotes, and take responsibility for such.

Nico diAngelo stepped from the shadows with extreme precision. It was the only way he could keep from melting into the welcoming darkness forever.
That, and the fact that he towed Thalia, and he wouldn't drag her into the darkness with him.

He looked out towards the hobbits, who had clopped aways up the road. He could sense the ring they carried. It didn't only feel dark, though; it felt evil. Many things people thought evil were only tools, depending on their wielder to use them for good or evil, but this---this thing---was purely evil, as if it had a will of its own. Its essence was that of Sauron.

He began walking, then stopped. Thalia.

"Follow?" He wasn't used to having to communicate with someone else.

She nodded shortly, eyes flicking to him forgetfully. She hadn't remembered him either.

They advanced stealthily. She was a Hunter, after all, and Nico was used to blending in.

The hobbits pulled up to an inn. The Prancing Pony by Barliman Butterbur.

The huskiest, though they were all a bit fluffy, hobbit grimaced. "We surely aren't going to stay the night here, are we sir?"

It looked cheery enough to Nico. Light streamed from the windows and laughter rang inside.

"If there are hobbit folk in these parts, why don't we look for some as would be willing to take us in? It would be more homelike."

So that's what it was about. Nico had found the most dreary hole was better than the grandest mansion if it reminded him of Bianca, or Mother, or even Hades now. Especially after a difficult journey.

"What's wrong with the inn?" the deferred hobbit asked. "Tom Bombadil recommended it. I expect it's homelike enough inside."

Singing burst merrily forth, as if the occupants had heard him. Nico smirked to himself. Not like any home I've seen.

A short, fat, bald man bustled out through one door and in through another, laden with a tray full of mugs. (Tolkien's words, not mine;P)

"Can we—"

"Half a minute, if you please!" the aproned man shouted over his shoulder, then vanished into a babel of voices and smoke. A moment and he was out again, wiping hands on his apron. "Good evening, little masters." he bent down. "What may you be wanting?"

"Beds for four, and stabling for five ponies, if that can be managed. Are you Mr. Butterbur?"

The lead hobbit was polite, at least. These days there were far too many; especially arrogant leaders, who couldn't be bothered to even think what trouble they might be to those they paid. As if money were suitable payment for being a pig. It often hardly covered expenses!

"That's right! Barliman is my name. Barliman Butterbur at your service! You're from the Shire, eh?" he said, then clapped his hand to his forehead. "Hobbits! Now what does that remind me of? Might I ask your names, sir?"

"Mr. Took and Mr. Brandybuck. And this is Sam Gamgee. My name is Underhill."

"There now! It's gone again. But it'll come back, when I have time enough to think! I'm run off my feet; but I'll see what I can do for you. We don't often get a party out of the Shire nowadays, and I should be sorry not to make you welcome. But there is such a crowd already in the house tonight as there hasn't been for long enough. It never rains but it pours, we say in Bree."

Well he's got a set of lungs.

"Hi! Nob!' he shouted. 'Where are you, you woolly-footed slowcoach? Nob!"

Speak and the wolf howls.

"Coming, sir! Coming!" The cheery hobbit bobbed out, then stared. Travel must really be uncommon here.

"Where's Bob?" Butterbur asked, "You don't know? Well, find him! Double-sharp! I haven't got six legs, nor six eyes neither! Tell Bob there's five ponies that have to be stabled. He must find room, somehow."

Nob laughed and winked at the hobbits, then trotted off.

"Well now, what was I going to say? One thing drives out another, so to speak. I'm that busy, tonight, my head is going round. There's a party that came up the Greenway from down South last night–--and that's strange enough to begin with. Then there's a traveling company of dwarves going West come this evening. And then there's you. If you weren't hobbits, I doubt if we could house you. But we've got a room or two in the north wing that were made special for hobbits, when this place was built. On the ground floor as they usually prefer; round windows and all as they like it. I hope you'll be comfortable. You'll be wanting supper, I don't doubt. As soon as may be. This way now!"

Thalia and Nico exchanged a glance. "I'll scout the common room, you watch the hobbits?" Niks (Neeks) gave a sharp nod, then melted away after them.

total wc: 824

quoted: 394 (canon dialogue)

real wc: 430

/A\V/A\V/A\V/A\V/A\V/A\V/A\V/A\V/

Wow! I have readers, now! Thanks, ya'll!
I'd better up my game...

I just saw I  have votes, too! Wow, thanks!