IX

Yulia nearly bounced in excitement, an elated smile on her face

Yulia nearly bounced in excitement, an elated smile on her face. Genesis had called her the minute before, inviting her for arcade the next day.

It was the first time.

No one had really tried approaching her for things unrelated to studies, even Dan, her so-called only friend in school. Yulia's chest pounded, a blush creeping up her cheeks when she realized someone wanted her presence around. Someone asked for her.

No, scratch that. Not just one but two, knowing Luciel would've stopped Genesis if he didn't want her to come.

"Arcade...," Yulia repeated, trying to contain her excitement. Grabbing her pillow in one hand, she buried her face against it and squealed. "With Gen and Luciel!"

After emptying her giddiness, she ran to her closet, yanking open the door and scanning the racks for possible outfit ideas. Contrary to what others believed, Yulia loved dressing up. Not as much as she loved hitting the books, but she still liked it eitherway.

However, due to the lack of events aside from family and business gatherings, Yulia had the littlest idea about what to wear. The casuals, she lacked greatly, as only formal wear filled her closet.

No way.

Her mood immediately went down the drain, irked at how inexperienced she was at everything apart from studying. An unsettling feeling filled her as she realized her presence might be dreaded and that Genesis and Luciel were just forced to invite her since she wouldn't leave them alone.

What if they thought of her a burden?

A frown etched its way to her face as the feeling got heavier. She did not want negativity to foster in her mind, but with the thoughts she was having at the moment, it was far from possible.

Her hand meekly fished out her phone, opening it to type a message informing her withdrawal.

Sorry, I can't come tomorrow.

Sent, 8:57 pm

After sending the apology, the gloomy atmosphere was replaced by surprise when her phone rang within less than a minute. It was from Genesis.

"Hi," Yulia stuttered, unsure of how to explain her sudden refusal. "I'm sorry about that."

"No no, it's okay," Genesis assured in a softer tone. "Are you okay, though? Did anything happen?"

Did anything happen?

Her pessimism happened.

"What do you mean?" Yulia chewed on the inside of her cheeks, rather worried that she'd be caught lying. "I... have to study."

The other line went quiet for a moment, before another voice replaced Genesis's.

"Oi, Lim. We can postpone the arcade 'till afternoon if you want to study." It was definitely Luciel's, judging by the sass. "Or you need me to inform your mom?"