III

Yulia bit her lip, the cold thin air slamming against her cheeks

Yulia bit her lip, the cold thin air slamming against her cheeks. It was raining. Every pitter and patter matched her deafening heartbeat. She decided not to tell the results to her parents, wishing it would be forgotten 'till next week's final examinations.

She'd just have to ace the next tests or else it would be a mess.

A very big and ugly one.

"Yules!" A familiar voice called from behind.

It was Dan, Daniel Chen.

Yulia flinched. It was probably the worst time she could ever meet her friend. The bitterness from yesterday's happenings was not easy to digest, her stomach churning as the board results came to her in form of unwanted flashbacks.

"Hi, Dan."

Yulia tried to keep her smile steady. Dan was intelligent, but he was rather slow at picking up emotions. Yulia wasn't so ready for his lack of sensitivity.

"Yo. I called you yesterday but you didn't–"

"Lim."

Elijah interrupted, getting in between them two. The raven-haired girl's frown deepened as another unwelcomed guest came.

She didn't want to see him either but despite that,

why did she feel somewhat relieved?

"Oh...woah. Elijah Xia," Dan fretted. "Uh hello."

The younger guy paid him no heed and turned to Yulia. The stares did not end at Elijah's, however, as the students around them started gushing over the scene.

Elijah had never approached anyone while Yulia had no business with him. It was the unlikeliest of the most unlikely situations to happen inside their school.

"Let's get breakfast."

"What?," Yulia stammered.

"Breakfast. Ciel and Gen are waiting," Elijah clarified.

But she has never had breakfast or any meals with them before. They said it themselves that they didn't like anyone joining them.

What's with the younger guy's invitation?

"Excuse me," Dan chided in, earning an uninterested look from Elijah. "I'm having breakfast with Yulia. Uhh... right, Yules?"

"Ah," Eijah shrugged carelessy. "Alright. Whatever."

"Elijah, wait!" Embarrassment seethed through the girl when she realized she looked too desperate to escape. She turned to Daniel and faked an apologetic look. "There's something I have to discuss with them for the examinations next week. I'm so sorry!"

Daniel stood there, watching as Yulia ran after Elijah. He just held his hand up and bid a soft, "see you..."