reminiscence of both paths

yeah this chapter is just me writing the father i never had lol

= = = = = = °˖✧✿✧˖° = = = = = =

"Cale!"

Cale could dimly hear the door hurriedly opening as a familiar voice shouted out in concern. He could recognize that voice anywhere, and despite the fact that it sounded younger, he knew it was his father, Deruth.

Between the hammering of his head and the distraction of rushed voices around him, he could hear his father's muffled voice urging him to wait a little longer. Cale notices the hands on his arms slowly retreating before a warm palm caresses his brow. It's bigger and rougher, yet it's still reassuring.

Cale assumed it was Deruth because of his soothing murmurs and breath on his face. The red-haired boy forced open his eyes to catch a glimpse of a hazy version of his father. He blinked a few times to get rid of the haziness when he finally took a good look at the man in front of him.

He had already expected to see a younger version of his father, but it was strange to see him without deep wrinkles or a beard. A memory flashed in front of Cale's eyes, however it vanished before Cale could even process it.

Not long after, the pain returned, and he could feel his eyes blurring again, as well as the sensation of something wet in the corner of his eyes. "It hurts." He hiccuped.

"Cale... It'll be okay, the physician will arrive soon...!" Deruth reassured him, his voice visibly cracking. Seeing his son cry in pain moved him to tears, after the recent loss of his beloved - he could not bear losing his son also. He grabbed the boy's smaller hands, small enough to not fully cover his palm. "This father of yours will do anything, so please stay healthy."

The door pushed open as a woman in white clothing rushed in, Deruth looked at her as she quickly looked over to Cale, who was writhing uncomfortably around. Deruth's hand remained firmly on Cale's brow, restraining his movement. She promptly introduced herself to the Lord as a physician, bowing respectfully before inspecting the child. Deruth lifted his hand, allowing her greater access.

She examined him quickly, coming to the quick conclusion that Cale fainted from repressed shock from his mother's sudden death. However, based on her limited understanding of the phenomenon, couldn't do much more than advise he drink water and rest. The physician bowed respectfully towards the Lord before announcing her departure. Only father and son remained in the room as the remaining servants followed the physician out.

Cale took a large swallow of water after Deruth handed him a glass of water from the side of the bed. The child glanced up to his father's relieved expression as Deruth pressed his hand against Cale's damp brow once more. It had been far too long since he had seen such an expression—on his father, no less!

Cale could feel his eyes watering again, now with the headache reduced only a dull ache, he could properly look at his father. He had never been close to Deruth, but he could see how much the man cared for him.

Cale wished he had made more of an effort to be closer, however the presence of Violan and Basen dashed whatever confidence he had. He knows better now. He will cease the opportunity before Violan enters our lives.

Subconsciously, Cale smiled.

After seeing his son's little grin, Deruth chuckled and lowered his fingers to tenderly wipe away incoming tears. "Cale." Deruth called out, "I'm so sorry." The cool night air breezed through the open window, helping to heed out the man's apology.