Chapter Two

Chapter Two

The house Marcus had chosen was big and radiated a homey feeling. The kitchen was large enough to fit a whole family while having a nice touch to it. There was a normal sink that came up about her midriff and at the end of it; was a long custom made sink that looked like it was for kids. For a brief moment, Nicole let herself daydreamed about what life could have been with her husband, whether they would argue every now and again like normal, average married couples did, or how many children they were willing to have and if they would ever fight over a wallpaper. She smiled sadly at the thought, knowing that it would never happen. She was the mistake bride and not for one second would she ever forget, not that Marcus had ever failed to rub it in her face every chance he got. Happily-ever-after was out of the question for her since she married the wrong guy. Yet her heart disagreed with what logic said, she was certain enough to put a stop to her stupid feelings. Love was truly blind.

She looked around, absorbing everything in. The walls was painted the colour of light, mossy green along with white cupboards, and window pane. There was a four long lamps that hung-up the ceiling, softly lit and giving the room a warm, nice tone to it. The counter was a cream-coloured, wooden table that matched the floor. Every detailing of the house screamed Cora, it was after all, a house chosen for her. She continued to look around, memorising where the things would be. The kitchen had always been one of her favourite part of the house, she had shared many memories in her old home. And she was desperate enough to make one here. Cooking had always been a passion for her, the aroma of what dish or desserts she would cook or bake had always been a welcoming gesture for Nicole and she wished Marcus would give their marriage a chance. And create new beginnings, even if it was hard to do and reminded both of them that it would have been all a fairy-tale-like story.

Nicole picked up the hem of her wedding dress, shuffling her feet as she dragged her suitcases. The house was designated with many rooms and she chose one downstairs. Sharing a room with Marcus was something she had not bargained for; a cold, dread feeling rose inside her. Did her new husband expected her to share a bed with him? She bit her lower lip, anxiety settling in. What if Marcus wanted to claim his marital and husbandly rights? Dared she refuse his own conditions? A loud, stomping of feet brought her attention up and saw Marcus coming down the stairs, holding something in his hand. She squinted and saw papers bunched in his fist, his expression rigid and cold. Head down, she marched into a room quickly, not caring whether it suited her just fine.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Marcus’ angry voice called out to her.

She turned around, and stared at him dazedly. “I-I was hoping to change and-“

“I’ll give five minutes to change and you better haul your sorry-ass back here again” he cut her off and walked away, heading for the kitchen where she’d only been a few minutes ago. Nicole had noticed that her husband had changed into a pair of designer-brand denim jeans and a black shirt. Sighing, she whirled back around and dropped her luggage on the floor and grabbed a pair of three-quarter jeans and a jumper to go with it. She put it on quickly, not wanting to anger Marcus even more. She couldn’t blame him after what happened today, and the last thing she wanted was to make him hate her even more. If only Cora was here to set things right, then perhaps she would be allowed to fly away and forget this had ever happened. It was bad enough that Marcus did not even made an attempt to talk to her but it could have been worst, she told herself.

The door flung open, revealing a dark, dangerous man. Nicole squealed, turning her back to her husband as she manoeuvred herself into the top efficiently. “Are you going to take a whole day to put some decent clothes on?” her new husband tormented, sounding impatient.

“I-I’m f-finished” Nicole stuttered nervously.

Marcus came inside and she was forced to cower back, his large frame looming over her small one. He stretched a hand out and gripped her fragile wrist, yanking her from her stupor. She came forward with a stumble, landing on his back with a painful thud on her forehead. She muttered an “Ow!” under her breath, rubbing the spot.