Chapter Five

Chapter Five

The moment the door closed behind her, Nicole pressed up against the cream-coloured wall. She shut her eyes, gulping down big breaths as a tremble shook her. How could he be so unkind and spiteful? She was well alert with her movements, it wasn't her choice to step-up into that chapel and become the wife of a brutal man. Perhaps, if she had managed to convince her irresponsible sister, Cora and Marcus would have been happy and no one would be hurt. But that was a lie; her older sister would be miserable within their marriage and might ended up getting a divorce and hurting Marcus in the end. One way or another, someone was bound to get hurt. And that was her; simple, innocent, and unsophisticated Nicole Simons who had always became everyone's life saver though she could not even make an attempt of saving her own. She shoved herself from the barrier that separated her from her brute husband and started setting her new table up. She placed a photo frame with her and her big sister and Nicole stared at it longingly, wishing her sister would come back and take her position instead. She finished putting her things away and waited for the main inside his office to emerge and tell her what to do. Nicole did not know how to become the best secretary for Marcus, because deep down she had always been clumsy and tried to hide it with tidiness and organisation but had always knocked something along the way.

Nicole fidgeted with her fingers, intertwining his thumb every now and then. What did Marcus expected her to do? Sit around and do nothing? One thing, Nicole was good at was to organize people's schedule; she was tempted to go back inside and get her husband's schedule, and set-up the meetings he was planning to do for the next couple of weeks. She tried to ignore the itch till the entrance to his office swung open and Marcus came out. Looking rather elegant yet handsome in a formal suit. He had taken his jacket off, his inside shirt hugged his fit body. The fabric stretched across a taut, yet nice defined chest that made her mouth water. It was so unlike her to be infatuated, and to lust after a man who had treated so unkindly did not sit well with her. Her husband stared her, his matching wedding band gleamed against the sunlight. She refused to meet his eyes, not wanting him to see how much he affected her. In so many, different ways, of course.

"Are you just going to sit there and fiddle with your thumb or get to work?" he said, his voice annoyed.

She looked up, surprised. How could his mood change from malice to annoyance?

"I-I didn't have anything to do. I need your schedule and your planner book so I can set-up the upcoming meetings," she stammered, coming back to her feeble and pathetic approach. Where did her fire go? She was just being bold and defiant earlier and now where did it go?

"You could have just asked me and I would have given it to you. Instead of being a chicken and a coward, you could have come in the office." He prodded.

"I-" she was about to say that she was not a coward nor a chicken. But they both knew that she was affected by what happened previously and was not about ready to go back in and face the man who seemed to despise her.

"You what? Nothing," he finished for her. He walked towards her, his action deliberate and menacing. He leaned over hew new desk, putting his beautiful face up to hers so that their heads were labelled. His exotically blue eyes embedded across her boring, old, casual amber eyes.

"When I took you in as my secretary, I really meant as my employee. Who would take care of my meetings and tell me my schedule for today. Who I'm supposed to have lunch during that day and how many meetings I have and what time," he said, his voice dropped down in a subdued volume.

"Why-why are you doing this to me, Marcus?" Nicole whispered, feeling her eyes well-up. She had always been emotional and had cried so many times that she had lost count.