Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Marcus took a step forward, caging Nicole in. She felt herself lean back, an immediate response coming from her. She knew exactly what her husband was doing; he was trying to use his menacing form of large muscles in order for her to back down. A distinct reminder of her new self formed in the back of her mind, making her stand her guard. She watched as her husband's lips thinned into a dismissive behaviour, as if a simple contact indicated disobedience and declining of her performance. There was no more bullying nor any sort of threat that would make her feel small and weak.

"Marcus," she warned, extending a hand out for him to stop. He took the initiative and stared at her with scepticism in his eyes. His eye-catching blue eyes met her fire amber eyes. She no longer thought of them as boring; not since the brand new Nicole was born.

A sneer stretched the corner of his lips. "You are acting rather ridiculous, sweetheart" he spoke, taking another step further in spite of her warning.

"I told you to stop right there." Nicole replied, her small hand touching his well-defined chest. "Don't come any closer or I swear, I'll scream the whole hotel down."

Her husband lifted an eyebrow up, so high that it nearly met his hairline. It wasn't the type of eyebrows raised that said surprised and shocked, but somewhat mocking and snobby. "Was it something you ate or is it just me who thinks you're acting so preposterously?" Marcus taunted as he came forward still, her hand shook a little, the heavy weight of her husband weighing down on her. Why did he even bother coming here after tracking her down? There was no point in flying to Greece if his purpose was only to come and get her. His obligation was only to look after her, not to mess with her life and choices. She had made her decision, and she was not about to change it. Nicole felt a sudden rush of satisfaction at the thought of her husband leaving mad and angry after she had dropped the bomb and made him see his rude awakening.

"I think it's you who's being ludicrous, husband of mine" she said, nonchalantly. Letting her hand fall from his body, she wrapped her arms around her back and interlaced her fingers together. Pending away from him, she paced around her room. She was not surprised when Marcus let himself in without any invitation; Nicole cocked her head to the side, studying the cruel man she had loved once and was now learning to feel any other emotions apart from affection and adoration. He had carelessly thrown the things she had done for him and chose not to accept her genuine offer.

"How so, wife of mine?" Marcus replied back, dropping his coat on the flush chair. "Last time I recall, you were the one who ran away from such physical intimacy. Tell me something different sweetheart, did you ever think of anyone else aside yourself?"

A gurgle of anger boiled inside her, her hands curling into a fist of ball. She tried to hold onto her temper and not let the anger get on the way. She may have changed and got fed up with his behaviour, but it did not mean that they could not talk rationally.

"The way I see it is my husband so desperate for a physical interaction that he must take his wife drunk and asleep? Had we not established that fact? And what it would be called if it had happened?" she lashed out, keeping her voice cool and logical.

"The way I see it," her husband bit out, invading her personal space again. His forefinger pointed at her as he made his allegations. "My damn, stubborn, hard-headed wife is too unwise and ill-advised to get things moving in the bedroom. You knew exactly what your role would be the moment you signed that piece of paper that will bind us forever, sweetheart. In spite of your sister's immorality and you being robbed to make your own choices did not mean you could get away from your wifely duties. Those matrimonial rights had been set on stone for ages now, sweetheart. If you weren't so prepared to be in my bed, then why did you follow Cora's decision?"