Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Her day at work blurred by, leaving her in a fatigue state. Nicole went through Dallas' schedule and appointment for an hour after the blonde lady came. The proposition lurked within her head and she tried to put it aside for later to ponder but it seemed like it had a mind of its own. It kept bobbing up the surface, making it hard to work properly. Never had she known during her years in the company she worked for was owned by her husband; the powerful and president Marcus Simons. It would have been better to know a little bit of the details yet she had considered to know him during the two years he had dated her sister Cora.

The mention of her sister brought the pain back. She missed her terribly and wished she was around to talk to and so that Nicole could get advice on what she should do next. But she wasn't around and Nicole did not know where on earth her sister went to; if only she would call or at least leave a text saying that she was fine and that there was nothing to worry about. But they both knew that her little, naive sister would worry anyway. She busied herself with whatever work she had left and finished some of it for later. A knock on her desk brought her head up and her boss stood in front of her, his short, black hair mussed stylishly.

"Come and have lunch with us," Dallas invited, smiling.

She smiled back and gestured towards the piling paperwork in her desk. "I'll just finish this up and I promise to come as soon as I can. I just need to drop this off to the fourth floor and I should be good to go,"

"You work too hard, Nicole. Have a little break soon okay?" he persisted.

"Sure," she nodded and flicked a hand towards his concern. Dallas was a great guy and had always been there when things get tough and especially when people tend to use her as everybody's secretary. Nicole didn't mind the work but it was tiring sometimes.

She pulled the printed document and quickly caught the lift to the fourth floor. Her stomach rumbled as hunger settled deep in her belly. She was more than glad that no one was around her as the elevator's door slid open. She giggled at the imagined horrified expression that would have been etched on her co-employees when they heard her stomach growl.

"Hey, Nicole!" a girl with a dark bob passed her.

"Hey!" she greeted and continued on walking. She knew a few workers in this area of the company since she had to run errands for them. A brunette woman with layered hair came to view and Nicole smiled, very happy that she had caught her target before she went for lunch.

"Here is the completed paper you wanted, ma'am" Nicole joked and put it on her desk carefully.

Elizabeth smiled and patted her hand, "you're a good person, Nicole." Her friendly voice turned into a teasing note, "Or should I, Mrs. Simons?"

She blushed and motioned for her to whisper. She took the seat beside her friend, and said quietly, "Not so loud, you!"

"I can't believe you didn't tell me!" Elizabeth replied with an exasperated voice.

Nicole worried her lower lip and bit the inside of her cheek. "It was unexpected and completely unintentional." She admitted.

"Unintentional?" eyes wide, her friend scooted closer to gain more gossip. Elizabeth was not one to gossip about people's lives and Nicole trusted her enough to tell a few real truth about her sudden marriage.

"It was complicated."

"I thought your sister Cora was supposed to marry him," her friend whispered back, pointing behind her. Nicole turned around to see her husband leaning over a computer, probably reading some sale retails or something.