7

niki had waited until the dead of night to search the room a second but more thorough time. she knew there were cameras and didn't want to seem too odd while someone was sure to be watching.

a few more buttons had come up but only two of them gave a response. one showed off a plethora of dress wear, both dresses and suits of all colors. the other was entirely shoes, from platform boots to loafers to stilettos. niki was blown away. who's room was this?

that question was answered swiftly as the door swung open quietly and the blonde was caught like a deer in headlights when the hallway lights illuminated her examining a pristine pair of mary jane platforms.

"oh. i didn't think you'd be awake," magnolia said nervously, stepping into the room. niki's grip on the shoe tightened.
"please don't throw another shoe at me." nihachu pressed her lips together and turned to face her.

"what do you want?" she asked curtly. magnolia seemed to wilt a little.

"i just needed a change of clothes, i hope you don't mind me not knocking," she said nervously.

"this is your room?" niki inquired, looking at the mary janes and putting them back quickly before tucking her hands behind her back.

"yes? do you not like it?" magnolia asked worriedly before repeatedly driving her face into an open palm. "ugh, idiot idiot idiot! i knew i should've asked whether you wanted the room near the garden or not!" niki watched her in a scared sense of interest.

"you... what?" she asked, tilting her head down a little to see her face. magnolia stopped beating up on herself immediately but still glared at the ground as if it would make it better.

"you didn't ask to be 'saved' or whatever the hell i thought i was doing back there. i just picked you up and decided what was best for you and i feel awful about it because you obviously don't trust anyone here either and i know what that feels like so now i'm trying to figure out how to make it up to you through a nice place to crash, but no, i can't get that right either," she rambled. niki stared in silence, trying to take all of the information in.

this young woman, the one who she'd been tasked to watch undercover, acted so truthful that niki couldn't even tell if it was an act or not.

"it's... alright," she hesitated, watching the ground below her feet just to hide the deeply-in-thought face she wore.

"are you sure? you're not mad at me?" magnolia asked, looking up from the ground and at niki's face with sad eyes.

"do you want me to be mad at you?" niki asked sharply, catching herself at the last moment to not actually snap at her 'captor'. the woman quickly walked backward to the dresser, holding up her hands in surrender.

"no, not at all!" magnolia affirmed. she opened the doors of it and shuffled through some hanging shirts.
"i guess i'm just overthinking things, that's all. i'm very sorry for putting you through this, dear."

"you've apologized so many times yet you haven't done anything to put action behind your words," niki asserted, crossing her arms.
"you've not done anything to even let me near my home." magnolia looked at the ground again and took a deep breath before letting it out.

"i've not slept for the past day and a half because i've been working to figure this situation out. i wish i could fix it faster so you didn't have to be stuck here." upon closer inspection, niki could indeed see the dark circles that were embedded beneath her eyes. magnolia picked out a pair of pants and socks before selecting a shirt and walking to the door.

"feel free to use the shower, i promise the only camera here is that one so you can check around if you like, i won't be offended. minx should be getting a few changes of clothes and hygiene products to you by tomorrow morning," magnolia spoke over her shoulder.

"do you not want your room back?" niki asked, genuinely confused. magnolia cracked a small smile.

"an age ago, the best bed was reserved for guests and the second best bed was for the host. that's why it was a compliment for shakespeare to leave the second best bed for his wife, anne hathaway." magnolia looked out the door for a moment, a faraway look appearing.
"i never have guests so i just use what i think is the best bed. most of the others don't sleep here, either."

"that's a little odd you know that, don't you think?" the blond concluded. she carefully looked at magnolia and tried. she tried to understand her, tried to look at her so hard that she would know what went on in her brain.

"but it's kind of sweet." tried to see what caused her to do things so morally bad yet act so sickly good the entire time. to see how she silently took over a section of the city and nobody bat an eyelash. to see what made her steal entire shipments of food and drink under the nose of an official and make it all disappear overnight.

"thank you, niki. i hope you've gotten in touch with your workplace and notified them you won't be there for a few days. i'm fixing as fast as i can." magnolia watched her with dark brown, knowing eyes and left.

wait, what?? how does she know? i couldn't possibly have been that dumb with my tracks and snooping- wait. i said i was in charge of a linguistics company. right. niki sighed and rubbed her temples, listening and looking around carefully to make sure no one was coming before stealing a pair of pajamas she'd found in a drawer and going into the bathroom.

it was just as fancy as she remembered it was when she first checked around, white tile and marble counters complimented with black cabinets and silver appliances. the shower and bath were separated by a wall but both were very nice. just like in the line in jurassic park, magnolia had spared no expense.

bottles messily lined the shelves of the shower and niki could see multiple products that had to do with the protection of magnolia's curls, which niki would be the first to admit were very nicely taken care of.

a few bottles were off to the side but seemed to be for the type of hair she had so she used those. maybe minx stayed with magnolia some days?

an automatic frown stuck itself on her face and she fixed it just as quickly as it came. she had no reason to be upset about what two adults did in their free time, just more information to add to her report. god, she wanted to be jealous though. both were very attractive.

sweat and leftover smoke was washed down the drain with soap suds and the few remnants of her makeup from a night or so ago.

warm water seemed to wash away some of her worries as well. niki was 75% sure she wasn't going to be murdered and dumped in a river now, simply because you don't let your future victims waste a bit of hot water on your bills.

feeling calm and clean, niki bundled herself in a towel, got changed into a stranger's pjs, and slipped into the side of the bed she'd been placed in when she woke up here.

hopefully her boss would get back to her soon, she was really starting to get worried.

today i found a worm that was almost as big around as a pencil

-Cat <|•_•|>