12

WHEN DUD YHIS BOOK GET IVER 100 READS

minx was waiting outside the door with wide eyes and dropped jaw but magnolia breezed right past her.

"niki may want to run away more, now, keep an eye out," she said over her shoulder, not stopping as she stomped down the hall.

"what just happened?" minx shouted after her, not getting an answer because she had already rounded the corner.

"... puffy?" minx asked, poking her head in and seeing the two girls staring at each other.
"yeah, you guys can sort that out." the door shut abruptly and they had privacy.

"we're not bad guys, niki. you know how i am," puffy said quietly, playing with her hands.

"how can i trust that? at least you guys knew i was lying," niki sniffled as tears started to rush forward. so much had happened and so fast.

"because i wouldn't be a dick to my player two," puffy whispered, hugging her swiftly before she could react and softening at the feeling of niki melting into her.

"i'm sorry, cap," niki sobbed. "i don't know what to do. i feel awful because there's something i know i need to do but i can't because it would hurt you and your friends and other people. i hate my job so much."

"then quit and join us. we have cookies and brunch with the southwest 'slums' on thursdays," puffy said with a little smile. niki huffed a tiny laugh and flashed a grin.

"i can't just do that," she said, wiping her eyes with the heels of her palms.

"sure you can. fake your death or do some big dramatic switcheroo right in front of the press, show em how wrong they can be about people they think they know," puffy urged.

"wouldn't that be wrong, though?" niki muttered.

"if you knew the amount of shit that we've picked up after your workplace did an oopsie, you would've quit ages ago," she whispered.

"why didn't you tell me?" niki asked, confused beyond words.

"i had an identity and operation to hide. plus, you were happy with that job despite how much you complained about that gross boss of yours," puffy said, also seeming sad with her decision. niki stayed quiet.

"okay," she finally whispered. "i'm sorry i yelled at you and upset magnolia. that wasn't professional of me."

"you don't have to be professional with me, we're friends," puffy chastised teasingly.

"yeah but... she's your boss and your friend. don't you care? aren't you worried about her right now?" niki asked.

"i've learned that when she says what she needs to she then has to go blow off some steam and that usually means working out. she knows to not go out into the field when she's emotionally out of it and minx and i have made absolute sure of that," puffy stated.

"positive?"

"positive."

"okay then. i also need to cool down a little bit, if you don't mind, i still feel all jittery," niki said, chewing on her cheek.

"yeah, you do look wound up. i can grab you some snacks and turn on a bubble bath for you, if you'd like," puffy offered. niki nodded with a grateful smile and got up to figure out how the tub worked.

fists slammed into the beaten pink leather, formerly red. sweat ran down her back and her teeth gritted as bare knuckles were hit over and over by harsh pink cloth that covered a large punching bag.

what makes you a bad guy? public opinion?

hit.

your threat to the public?