3

A week later the Armstrong's were hosting their annual New Year's Eve party at their house and naturally Ava and her family were invited with her mother helping with the preparation during the day.

"Leo, where's mom?" Ava asked as she entered her brother's bedroom where he was playing on his PlayStation.

"She went to help Angelique set up for the party. Why?" Leo wondered without taking his eye off the game.

"She asked me to pick up her dress from the dry cleaners but I can't find the little slip." Ava explained before leaving the room.

After doing one final search of the house, Ava admitted defeat and knew she would have to go over and ask her mother where the slip was.

She grabbed her car keys and bag before standing at the bottom of the stairs.

"Leo, I'm leaving." Ava shouted as loud as she could knowing he was wearing head phones. After receiving no reply Ava left and the house to go and see her mother.

As she was walking down the street Ava was hoping that Marcus wasn't there. She hadn't seen Marcus since Christmas Day and never got to find out what he thought of her present.

Ava approached the door and knock. She crossed her arms awkwardly as she stood waiting for someone to open the door and let her inside.

After a few moments the door to reveal Marcus wear one part of his Christmas present from Ava which was a Hitech cap she bought for him hoping it would make him admit whether he would be racing there next year or not.

"Nice cap." Ava said with a smile. "I take it that means to you are going there next year?"

"Yeh." Marcus nodded in reply.

Ava had an idea that it was true about Marcus going to Hitech after post season testing and she took the hat as the opportunity to find out as she knew he would only wear it if he was going to the British team.

"Come in." Marcus spoke as he stepped aside to let the Roberts girl inside. "You looking for your mum?"

"Yeh. She wants me to pick up her dress for later but I can't find the dry cleaners slip." Ava explained as the pair walked into the kitchen where their mothers were.

"Hi sweetheart." Lily said as she spotted her daughter entering the room with Marcus causing the two older women to smile. "Did you get the dress?"

"No. I can't find the slip. I was wondering if you had it?" Ava wondered as she walked towards the kitchen island where the two women were preparing food.

"Hold on." The older Roberts woman replied as she wiped her hands and walked towards her bag. She rummaged around for a minute before producing the slip.

"You had me pulling the house apart for you to have it in your bag all along." Ava spoke as she took the slip from her mother's hand.

"Whoops." Lily replied causing Ava to roll her eyes.

"Right I'm going. Do you guys need anything for the party?" Ava wondered before she left.

"Oh here. Marcus take this and go with Ava." Angelique said as she grabbed a small list from the fridge.

"Oh no I'll get it don't worry." Ava shook her head in reply.

"Nonsense. You're not paying for our party." Angelique told her. She grabbed her credit card from her bag and handed that along with the list to her son. "And maybe grab some more alcohol just incase."

"Anything else mum?" Marcus asked sarcastically as he looked over the list.

"Don't be rude just go." Angelique replied as she shooed her son off.

"Fine. I'll drive." Marcus told Ava as he grabbed the keys from the top drawer before they left.

"How could you have possibly known that Ava was going to come over before you sent Marcus out?" Lily wondered once their two oldest children left.

"The same way you knew she had to come over because you had that slip." Angelique replied with a smile.

"You two." Rick Armstrong spoke as he walked into the kitchen with a box of lights having heard the conversation of the two women.

"What?" They asked innocently.

Rick rolled his eyes at yet another one of the friends' attempts at getting their children together.

Rick knew how his oldest son felt even though he had never openly attempted his feelings about the Roberts girl but he also knew that Marcus would never admit his feelings if he wasn't sure Ava felt the same way not wanting to risk the friendship they did have.

—————

The pair had picked up Lily's dress and were now walking through their local supermarket with Ava pushing the trolley along with Marcus went through the list and put the stuff in the trolley.

"This list is ridiculous. Does your Mum have anything at home for this party?" Ava asked as she looked over Marcus's shoulder at the list.

The pair had been working around the shop for the last half an hour and were only half way through Angelique's list.

"You know my mum. Last minute dot com." Marcus said as he scanned over the list as they stood in the crisps isle.

"What did you say?" Ava wondered as she tried not to laugh but it didn't work.

"I have no idea. It's something Paris says." Marcus replied laughing along with the girl next to him.

"Come on let's get through this list." Ava spoke as she started to push the trolley further down the isle.

—————

Short chapter but the next one is gonna be the party. Let me know what you guys think x

-ky❤️