birthday girl - a short film

( I wrote this short film as an assignment for my writers craft class, and everyone I have showed it too so far has really liked it (including the teacher!). I think it is a little cheesy, but I wanted to post it anyways. I started this book to share my writing and I have not been doing that as of late. Also, I might share some of my other assignments as the class progresses. )

March 11, 2022

FADE IN:

INT. MAYA'S BATHROOM – MORNING

Close on MAYA'S right eye, as she applies eyeliner. CAMERA backs out as she puts the cap on the pencil. She looks at her reflections, moves her hair to her shoulders and sighs trying to make herself look as presentable as possible before exiting the bathroom to face her family.

FADE OUT

FADE IN:

INT. MAYA'S FAMILIES KITCHEN – MORNING

MAYA enters the kitchen to see MOM, DAD, ALYSSA, and LAYLA standing around the kitchen counter, a small, round, chocolate cake with "20" candles sticking out in the center.  

MOM

There she is! Happy birthday, Maya!

Maya forces a smile; DAD kisses her cheek.

DAD

You're getting old.

MOM moves the cake closer to MAYA, lighting the candle.

MOM

(smiling)

Here, make a wish. 

MAYA closes her eyes and blows out the candles. MOM begins cutting into the cake.

MOM

(still smiling)

I have so much planned for tonight. We can go to dinner, then maybe watch a movie, and I

know—

MAYA

(nervous)

Well, actually, I had plans with Reyna tonight.

MOMS smile drops and her eyebrows raise. Tension rises.

Beat.

MOM

Oh, ok.

MAYA, ALYSSA, and LAYLA give each other quick looks, they roll their eyes.

MAYA

Mom...

MOM

I'm sorry, I just don't like that girl, Maya!

DAD

She gives me a bad vibe.

MAYA

(biting her tongue)

Well, then it's a good thing she's my friend and not yours