"we're just glad you're ok"

"What the hell Kiara! What were you thinking?"
Julian asked his daughter as he walked her back to their car.

"I'm sorry pops." she replied just below a whisper.

Her other father, Oliver, was leaning against the car with his arms crossed, waiting for the them to get back.

"You can't do these things Kiara, the police won't always be like this. They won't always let you go this easily." he says, pulling her into a hug.

After a long, awkward silence in the car, Kiara sighs, "I get it, I'm not white, and a lot of people don't like that, but I didn't even do anything illegal".

She was tired, this whole interaction had just made her want to curl up into a ball and go to sleep.

"Kiara, this is serious, people won't care that you were born here or that you've never met your biological parents. You need to be extremely careful, racism is a very real thing that you positively will have to deal with at some point." Julian said, he was stern and she could tell he was genuinely worried about her.

"We understand that it's unfair, but that's the world we live in, and it only makes us worry more about you. Not only do you have racism, but sexism, homophobia, and people who are just straight up pieces of shit." Oliver added, as Kiara laid back in her seat and chimed in, "You shouldn't have to be worried about this."

"We shouldn't, but we are, because some people can't stand being around others who are different." Julian said.

"Look Kiara, we hate that we basically have to tell you that you have to restrict yourself to prevent others actions, but you need to start being super careful. Understand."

"I understand." she replied, she was beginning to zone out a little.

Her parents both settled in their seats as they all fell silent. Julian sighed, "We're just glad you're okay baby."