Chapter 20 - Nightmares Begin

Time Skip (3 years)

Jayden Larkspear stood alone in the courtyard and slowly took aim at each one of the targets placed neatly in an organised row. He plucked the bowstring at the perfect angle. Each arrow landed perfectly in the bullseye except the last one. Which headed a bit off the centre and landed on the second ring from the centre.

"Great job," Noxaura said and clapped from behind Jayden, and he turned to look back at her."This would be a useful skill to encourage young suitors for you, my son," Noxaura said and walked up to put an arm on Jayden's shoulder.

"Young what?" Jayden asked in utter bewilderment.It was common for the princes to be married at any age after 20. It was believed that two together would be easier to plan for the territory than only one person. The suitors usually used to be the prince's choice. But in Jayden's case, he had feelings for someone Noxaura couldn't know about in the slightest."My son, it's been long enough that you haven't found your match yet," Noxaura said and looked at her son. They had the same eye colour, and their vivid nature was identical."Mother, I," Jayden began to protest, but he knew that it was no point when Noxaura had made up her mind about what might happen."I need you to start finding your partner at the earliest, otherwise the rumors about our kingdom just keep growing," Noxaura said and smiled at her son."What do you have in mind to help out?" Jayden asked with a hint of confusion. This was all too sudden for him to comprehend.For once, Noxaura looked slightly delighted to hear the question and led her son into the castle."I have a ready list of suitors for you, my son, but the most important thing for you right now is to get to know them first," Noxaura said. She sounded childishly excited, but Jayden took it as a good thing as long as she wasn't yelling at him."Should I probably get into a more presentable set of clothes before you bring someone in?" Jayden asked, trying to buy himself some time."Yes of course," Noxaura said and led her son to the staircase inside the castle."Go ready yourself upstairs, and I'll send the first girl up there within a few moments," Noxaura sent him up the stairs. Jayden only wondered what exactly he'd gotten himself roped into.

-------------------------

Elizah stared wistfully out the window in the kitchen and was lost in a variety of daydreams. She had been busy baking for a bit since that morning, and she was now just taking a small rest. The past three years had been relatively mundane. She practised magic and got better at fighting during the day and then returned home to finish some of the fieldwork.

On another end, she had finally started to realise her feelings for Jayden. Still, she was absolutely unsure of how to go about telling him. Daily she ended up just thinking of how to tell him, and like today she would just be staring outside a window for hours. Even Micah had tried to convince her to just talk it out, but she felt it was too awkward to say it out loud.However, Elizah was startled out of her thoughts when she felt a hand at her shoulder."Liz, can I talk to you?" Roxanne asked and walked up to her daughter with a worried glance."Yes of course mother, tell me," Elizah said and turned to Roxanne."I've just gotten word and well you probably won't like this but," Roxanne said with a slight wobble in her lip."What happened?" Elizah asked, and Roxanne sat at the table with her head in her palms."There was the announcement that they've seen magical infusions in the town, and some signs are pointing to you," Roxanne said nervously. "They've summoned you to the castle to give a check on whether you have magic or not.""What!?" Elizah asked in outrage about the suggestion, "How could I have magic?" She tried to make her lies satisfactory enough to convince Roxanne that she wasn't at fault, but inside she was worried that her secret was now out."I know Liz, please calm down," Roxanne said and placed a gentle hand on her daughter's shoulder. "I just need you to make sure the king and queen know that it isn't the truth," Roxanne said and led Elizah to the door, "I want you to get this over with as early as possible, so please Liz I can't lose you."Elizah was about to open her mouth to protest but bumped into Micah at the door."Where are you going?" Micah asked and raised a questioning eyebrow."I feel someone's trying to get me killed," Elizah said in a low whisper, and Micah looked even more surprised."How could that happen?" Micah asked and walked with her in the direction of the castle."Someone tipped the king and queen off, that I have magic," Elizah said with a small sigh.Micah looked so worried by those words as he stared at Elizah."What are you going to do now?" Micah asked her in utter bewilderment."I'm going to make sure the spirits have some faith in me and try to clear my name," Elizah said grimly in her brother's direction. She walked towards the castle with her head high and face full of worry and fear.

-------------------------

Jayden hurried down into the council room after his last meeting with a girl was over. The girls were ready to become a part of Jayden's life, but he knew he wouldn't do anything of the sort. A servant had summoned him to the council room as soon as possible, and Jayden was quite confused upon being called.

"Ah, good you're here," Cyprian's voice was heard as Jayden walked into the council room."What's happening?" Jayden asked in momentary confusion."Sit down and find out," Noxaura said and gave him a slight grin.Jayden sat down on his smaller throne and tried to plaster his usual smile on his face despite all the fear that was welling up in his entire chest."Bring her in," Cyprian commanded, and the doors opened again, and the soldiers brought someone into the room.It was a lady with her head bowed and her hands tied behind her back. She jerked her head up in a swift motion, and there was no inch of fear in her position. Elizah looked stubborn and prepared for any form of questioning."Do you know why you're here?" Cyprian asked with his voice steady.Jayden was trembling in fear and anticipation of what his parents wanted from her."Yes," Elizah answered slowly."Good. I want to ask you simply first, before we test you," Noxaura said and slowly walked up to her."How long have you been making your antidotes?" Cyprian asked slowly."A few years," Elizah said and held her head up high."What do you use to make them?" Noxaura asked and looked her in the eye."General apothecary herbs," she answered immediately."Would it be alright if we came and checked your house?" Noxaura asked.Jayden was controlling himself from yelling out to Noxaura to stop."Yes," Elizah said simply, and Noxaura slowly backed away from Elizah and dismissed the soldiers. "Then we'll be there at your household early tomorrow," Noxaura said. Elizah only nodded before she walked out of the room slowly with a small glance in Jayden's direction.As she closed the door behind her and the royal family were alone."Can I be dismissed?" Jayden asked, wanting to go check on Elizah immediately and made up his mind that he should go with his instincts for Elizah.Cyprian nodded, and Jayden strolled slowly out of the room. After he knew he was out of the palace boundaries, he broke into a run and rushed off to find Elizah.

-------------------------