Chapter 25 - A Special Day

Jayden set his sword down in the grass near the pond. He was in his most formal tunic, and his hair was set to as much perfection as he could manage before it became messy again. He was always waiting for this day of his life, but he was also worried about what might happen if something went wrong.He then took the ceremonial blade from his pouch and examined the engraved markings. It was a beautiful blade made of gold and engraved with colourful gemstones and inscriptions. The variety of inscriptions were foreign to Jayden's understanding, and he knew no one who actually could decipher it."I see you've taken a fascination in the blade," Jade said as she walked up behind Jayden and placed a hand on his shoulder. Jayden turned in surprise and noticed the woman had dressed up differently than she usually would. Her red hair was tied neatly up, and her dress was a pale cream shade with gentle swirls in black. She held a small red goblet and a thick black book."You seem agitated," Jade said with a concerned glance washing over her face."No, more worried, not agitated," Jayden said, and he handed the blade to Jade as he asked, "What do the inscriptions say?""The blade of togetherness, the uniter of lost souls, and the binder of lovers," Jade said and read the swirling letters."So, this blood-binding knife is quite ancient?" Jayden asked and turned it in his palm."It has seen pairs of souls who have faced the world with exceptional bravery, and have brought a change. Here your past will merge with that of your past family and you will surpass their legacies," Jade said with a small smile."It was a gift of the spirits, treasured through generations," Jade said as she heard the rustling of bushes behind her."I'm sorry I took much longer than you had expected," Elizah said as she stepped out from behind the bushes with a bright smile and her tall brother behind her. Micah was by Roxanne's side, and the both of them were dressed in perfection. But Elizah was the eye-catcher. Her eyes matched the blue of her gown, and in the light, it was the shade of green emeralds like Jayden's. If anything, the dress was like a fusion of the features of the two of them. Her golden blonde hair was tied up neatly behind her with a delicate pearl bracelet on her right wrist."Is it too much?" Elizah asked, slightly worried when she saw Jayden watching her every move."No, you look beautiful," Jayden said and kissed her forehead."You two lovebirds can continue after the ceremony," Micah said and walked up to his sister's side as Jayden and Elizah laughed.Micah also looked much better than usual, with his red hair neatly combed down and his suit devoid of wrinkles.Jayden and Elizah then stood across from each other, just as at any blood bonding ceremony on the island, and Jade stood near them.Jade took a gold ribbon with embellishments and wrapped one around Jayden's wrist and the other around Elizah's. She then opened a large book and began to read."On this sacred day, we celebrate the union of two souls who share destinies and now life paths as well. In the shift of the seasons we see the mid season between healing of battle has become the moment of selection for these two young souls. Prince Jayden Larkspear has decided on the next princess of the Larkspear family, and shall now seal his bloodbond," Jade said as she held the blade in her hand."Do you, Elizah Cohen, take this young Prince to be the light of your life, the soul to be at your side for the rest of your life, and will be the one who you'll always protect?" Jade asked as she took Elizah's hand in hers."I do," Elizah said, and Jade made a small cut with the blade on Elizah's palm."Do you, Jayden Larkspear, take this woman to be the light of your life, be at her side whenever she needs you, and will protect her at all costs, and will maintain respect for her?" Jade asked Jayden as she gestured for Elizah to take Jayden's hand in hers."I do," Jayden answered, and Jade made a cut into Jayden's palm.She then took their two hands which had the cuts and poured some blood into the red goblet. She offered the goblet to Jayden first, and he heated the goblet with a touch of flame. The goblet changed from red to gold, and Elizah touched the goblet gently to transfer some of her own energy into it. Now the contents inside had also turned transparent like water. Jade then reached over to the pond, added a few drops of water into the goblet, and offered it to Jayden."Just take one drop," Jade said, and Jayden dipped his finger into the liquid and rubbed it over the open cut. Elizah repeated the same. There was a stinging, humming sensation on the wound, but moments later, the cuts sealed up, leaving a white scar in its place."With this, I seal your blood bond. May it last for eternity," Jade said with a smile, and Elizah leaned in to kiss Jayden gently.When Elizah broke off the kiss, she ran up to Roxanne and held her tight through the tears that threatened to fall.Roxanne cried and said, "You've grown up, my little girl."Micah patted Jayden on the back and put an arm on his shoulder, "Look after her for me. I trust you."Jayden let out a small chuckle and said, "Yes I will, if she lets me."Before embracing his sister, Micah let out a small laugh, "Be careful, Liz.""I'll miss you too," she said softly before they came apart, and Jade smiled at the two of them before leaving."Will you both come home for a meal?" Roxanne asked, and the two nodded after sharing a glance."Can I just have a moment alone with him? We'll come home right after," Elizah said, and Roxanne and Micah only nodded before they took off into the forest.Once the couple knew they were alone, Jayden pulled the ribbon out of Elizah's bun, and she laughed since she knew that he'd do it eventually."It's over finally," Jayden said and kissed her hard and muffled her laugh."All that's left is to leave," Elizah said with a sigh.There was a sudden rustling of leaves in the bushes. Both Jayden and Elizah immediately stood alert upon hearing the noise and waited for someone to appear."Am I interrupting something? And why wasn't I invited?" a voice asked, and the owner walked out from behind the bushes. There was more rustling as more people walked out. Jayden and Elizah were surrounded, with their mouths agape in shock and fear. Mainly because of who was standing in front of them.Jayden let only one word escape from his startled lips, "Mother!?"